Helper/Maintainer – ON (Apprenticeship – become a Qualified Signal Maintainer)
City : ON Wide, ON, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s mandate that all federally-regulated employers require their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, CP requires all prospective employees to confirm their vaccination status, or have an approved Transport Canada exemption, as part of the hiring process and as a condition of continued employment.
- Req ID: 87704
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Ontario wide, Ontario
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 70-80%
- # of Positions: 5
- Compensation Rate: $24.62 per hour
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 12/31/2021
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
*Please note that the territory for this position is considered District 2 and covers areas between Thunder Bay, ON and Dorion, QC.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As a Signals & Communications Helper you will work as part of team performing heavy labour related to railway signaling systems construction and maintenance.
- Trenching, cable distribution, housing installation, assembly of signal equipment, wiring of signal equipment, pole line work;
- Work with Track Renewal groups protecting the Signal & Communications (S&C) equipment;
- At times you are required to repair or replace damaged equipment;
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- Signal equipment installation
- Install ground systems
- Electrical connection of rail reporting the color of the signal
- Climbing poles
- Pole line repair
- Walking on uneven ground
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment.
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc.);
- May be required to be away from home.
During this period, the employee will be classified as an S&C Helper at a rate of pay of $24.62 per hour. After completion of training, the employee may bid to a Signal Maintainer Apprentice position. CP provides a 9 month Apprenticeship program (paid training).
After completion of the program you will become a Signal Maintainer; accountabilities include:
- Test and verify the correct operation of Signal & Communications (S&C) systems and equipment on your assigned territory;
- Perform preventive maintenance on all S&C apparatus;
- Make inspections and tests as required on each device;
- Repair or replace defective devices;
- Investigate and locate problems or failures and take the proper corrective action;
- Plan own work and co-ordinate it with others;
- Ensure there is enough material on hand to permit work or repairs to be completed without undue delay;
- Install apparatus in accordance with prepared circuit drawings and standards;
- Make authorized corrections and modifications to circuits and enter the changes on plans;
- Prepare and submit reports, time sheets and handle general correspondence;
- This position is on call to protect failures in the off hours.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High school or a General Equivalency Diploma is required;
- Valid driver’s license is required;
- Education or experience in Electronics/Electrical is considered an asset;
- Commercial Vehicle and/or air brake license (DZ) is considered an asset;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- The ability to follow instructions, rules and regulations is essential written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team, and must be comfortable working alone;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
- Position requires frequent travel in and out of province;
- Must have ability to relocate within District 2.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment. You will also be required to complete additional drug & alcohol testing prior to qualification for this position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
- Driver's license verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").