Health & Safety Specialist
City : Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Site
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Manager, Health & Safety
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
As the Health & Safety Specialist you will work in collaboration with Site Managers and other stakeholders to execution on the Mattamy Homes Health & Safety program. You promote and maintain a safe, and legally compliant construction site within our Alberta communities through diligent communication, application, and coordination of Mattamy’s corporate Health and Safety Protocols, Safe Operating Procedures and Safety programs pertinent to its communities under construction.
What you’ll do
- Assist with the development, implementation, and monitoring of the Health & Safety program with the assistance of the site manager and construction team.
- Collaborate with the site manager, construction team and trade contractors to ensure their duties are performed in compliance with Occupational Health & Safety, Regulations, Mattamy Safety Policies and Project Specific HSE Execution Plan.
- Monitor site conditions and behaviours to identify risks and provide site manager with input and recommendations to enhance safety performance. Validate that proper safeguards are being utilized in accordance with the work plans and safe work procedures.
- Ensure that Mattamy and trade contractors are conducting regular effective inspections of their areas, equipment, tools, and materials and are promptly correcting any noted deficiencies.
- Ensure proper inspection documentation as required by local legislation and/or Mattamy safety policies is being completed by the appropriate construction team.
- Coordinate the facilitation of new worker and trade partner site specific HSE orientation conjunction with the site manager.
- Manage and maintain the Mattamy and trade contractor orientation and HSE training records.
- Participate in incident investigations and assist the Health & Safety Manager as required.
- Participate in Mattamy’s Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) as a management representative.
- Verify that modified work programs are implemented within the requirements of the policy and local regulations.
- Ongoing liaison with WCB, Area/Corporate HS Team, and HR regarding rehabilitation or return to work plans.
- Perform weekly inspections, audits, focus audits and additional inspections as directed by the Health & Safety Manager.
What you bring
- At least 2-3 years’ experience coordinating and managing health and safety in construction and residential real estate.
- University degree or college diploma, specializing in occupational health & safety discipline, with optional training in technical applications, trades or construction techniques or comparable work experience.
- OHS Provincial Certification.
- First Aid including CPR.
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills with accuracy in details.
- Background in Training and/or Education and or experience delivering EHS Training programs to individuals and groups preferred.
- Possess organizational skills and flexibility to plan, initiate, organize, and prioritize own work, and to balance multiple demands, conflicting priorities, and pressures and deadlines.
- A team player, who values communication and can operate effectively with peers.
- Excellent problems solving skills.
- Strong decision-making skills, you possess the ability to display mature, objective judgment in difficult or unusual situations through tactful direct personal action or referral to the appropriate individual.
- Proactive and resourceful, with a strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Possess strong existing computer skills with ability to use Microsoft Office suite applications.
- Proficiency in using digital H&S Tracking tools.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record and the ability to drive to job site.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP).
- Certificate of Recognition (COR) Auditor and National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO).
- Previous experience with investigating, interviewing, documenting, and reporting incidents and accidents in a health & safety context.
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.