Health & Safety Coordinator
City : Brampton - Walker Dr.
Category : Other
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:Reporting to the Health & Safety Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of Maple Leaf Food’s Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) programs. This includes but is not limited to assisting in the development of safe work procedures, training, assisting in claims management, investigations, workplace inspections and training coordination.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Identification and reduction of Health and Safety risks and hazards
- Investigation into incidents and help to provide corrective actions with timelines
- Maintaining supply and inventory of health and safety equipment and supplies
- Maintain SDS (Safety Data Sheet) binder plant wide based on chemical inventory
- Maintain uniform inventory through third party
- Provide first aid as required and maintain the plant wide first aid kits with supplies
- Support the plant in the emergency evacuation procedure and maintain the log
- Maintain HSSE metrics and documentation with the ability to present this information to applicable parties
- Design and deliver training programs for workers, management and Safety Committee members to comply with legislative requirements
- Ensure documentation is logged and filed for quick reference
- Maintain the HSSE Training Matrix, make recommendations on what training to complete and organize training with internal or external vendors for the applicable departments
- Assist the JHSC with scheduling meetings, ensuring workplace inspections are completed and take minutes for distribution
- Develop and construct Physical Demand Assessment (PDA), Machine specific lockout tagout procedure, Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Safe Work Procedures (SWP) identifying the basic job steps and tasks, their associated hazards and risks, developing safe operating procedures and hazard controls
- On the floor involvement with operations on the production floor, completing daily walk throughs, inspections and H&S initiatives
- Support the Health & Safety department and any other duties as assigned by the department manager
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-secondary education in Health & Safety
- Knowledge of health and safety laws and regulations
- 1-3 years of experience in Health & Safety
- Knowledge of compliance and regulatory training for all personnel working onsite
- Experience with WSIB Claims
- Knowledge of manufacturing and processing environments
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and analytical skills
- Must be extremely organized and a self-starter, able to work with limited supervision
- First Aid Certification would be an asset
- Strong computer skills is required, especially in Excel and Word
- Show enthusiasm to learn new skills
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.