Head of Product Design, Scotiabank
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5A3X5
Category : Manager
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 179762
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Digital Banking at Scotiabank is looking for a Head of Product Design, Digital Service (12-month contract, with potential for extension). We’re looking for an experienced design leader with the ability to think strategically and guide a team of strong design leaders and product designers to achieve a shared vision. The Head of Product Design has accountability over a large, broad, portfolio of journeys – and an ability to shift contexts easily and often is critical to success in this role. At the core of the role is managing a large team (with 4-6 direct reports and approximately 30 indirect reports). The successful candidate will uphold a high standard of design excellence, maintain a collaborative and open team culture, and guide the team on a collective journey as we improve the banking experience for our customers.
Is this role right for you?
The Head of Product Design, Digital Service sets a vision for teams of Product Designers creating experiences to help our customers do more digitally. This person is an advocate for great product design and understands how experiences create a competitive advantage for Scotiabank in Canada.
Product design partners closely with product management, engineering, marketing, business lines, analytics, and the rest of the Digital Banking organization in Canada to build digital banking products that make the customer experience delightful. The Head of Product Design is a key influencer and negotiator at the Canadian leadership level and has a high visibility and influence throughout the organization.
The Head of Product Design will:
- Execute and operationalize Scotiabank’s digital product design vision in Canada with the end goal of delivering world-class financial user experience for Canadians.
- Define and lead the overall design practice across Scotiabank online and mobile products within Canada working within the framework set by global product design.
- Partner with Business lines, Product Management, Marketing, Engineering, and Analytics to envision and build innovative products & brand experiences that make digital banking better.
- Responsible for the co-creation of digital user experiences within Canada including mobile applications, web experiences, and assisted experiences.
- Advocate for Product Design and Design Thinking at all levels of the organization. Influencing peers and partners and creating space for our designers to be creative and solve interesting problems.
- Build, coach, and mentor a team of design professionals. Managing managers of designers and upholding a psychologically safe environment.
- Maintaining strong knowledge of our customers, understanding and advocating for their needs, present product experience and features to business stakeholders and end users for feedback.
- Accountable for digital experience and usability: navigation, functionality, design, usability, accessibility.
- Embed product designers in scrum teams to embrace design thinking and consumer centric design and testing.
- Be a champion of Scotiabank customers within Canadian Scotia Digital by demonstrating empathy and inspiration to scrum teams.
- Drive Lean/agile UX approaches pervasively throughout the product lifecycle; help designers become the collaborative glue that facilitates decisions across the dimensions of value, usability, and feasibility.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in design, Humanities, Systems engineering or related fields (or equivalent work experience).
- Professional experience designing responsive web and/or native mobile software applications,
- At least 5 years of experience coaching and leading high-performance design teams in fast-paced organizations. With experience managing managers.
- Ability to communicate concepts, ideas, and strategies.
- You have a positive and resilient personality with a growth mentality. You must be able to embrace feedback and have a desire for continuous improvement.
- History of applying design thinking tenets and user centered design principles to design problems.
- A portfolio of work (professional and/or personal) which presents the story of projects you have worked on, your leadership thinking and role, and examples of the problem-solving methods driven by you.
- We are looking for a fast learner who has an appetite to uncover what’s behind both simple and complex financial solutions.
- You are a natural storyteller with the ability to craft and communicate compelling stories that add clarity and inspire passion in our mission. A strong facilitator, with a robust tool kit of techniques to communicate and collect ideas.
- Collaborative leader who leverages diversity across disciplines/locations/levels to fuel creativity and innovation in product design.
- You see yourself as a leader who exercises flexibility and openness, with the courage to defend unpopular points of view when they add value for the customer or the business.
- You bring expertise on driving individual performance through feedback and modelling (recognizing strong performers and coaching under performers).
- A go-getter with the commitment to get things done.
What's in it for you?
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Allyship - We strive to create an inclusive culture where every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are, and are embraced through bias-free practices and inclusive values across Scotiabank. We embrace diversity and provide opportunities for all employee to learn, grow & participate through our various Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that span across diverse gender identities, ethnicity, race, age, ability & veterans.
- Accessibility and Workplace Accommodations - We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Scotiabank continues to locate, remove and prevent barriers so that we can build a diverse and inclusive environment while meeting accessibility requirements.
- Remote-friendly work environment will provide you with the flexibility to perform at your best.
- Upskilling through online courses, cross-functional development opportunities, and tuition assistance.
- Competitive Rewards program including bonus, flexible vacation, personal, sick days and benefits will start on day one.
- Dynamic Office - Fully equipped gym, showers, games room, bowling alley, micro market, free tea & coffee, universal washrooms, wellness rooms, and lots of space for team collaboration.
- Community Engagement - no matter where you choose to work from; we offer opportunities for community engagement & belonging with our various programs such as hackathons, contests, cooking with friends, Humans of Digital and much more!
Working location condition: Hybrid
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.