Hazardous Materials Specialist/ Lines Coordinator
City : Surrey, BC
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We are seeking a Hazardous Materials Specialist/ Lines Coordinator to support a regulated materials asset management program for a large electric utility client. The position is to assist in tracking assets containing asbestos, and associated program data, working with a program coordinator and our client project managers, engineers and occupational health and safety specialists.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
A high level overview of the roles and responsibilities for this position is detailed below. :
- Compiling, verifying and controlling asset data from multiple sources.
- Performing quality control on data and data updates.
- Assisting in preparation of work orders for surveys, abatement, and other field work.
- Tracking issues, progress, inquiries and reporting related to the underground lines asbestos program.
- Developing templates and tools to facilitate tracking and reporting where necessary.
- Assisting in maintaining program records, including coordinating data updates in our client’s asset management databases as required.
- Developing and reporting on performance metrics to the client Project Manager.
- Attending project meetings with the project team and client Project Manager to review the program, issues identified and actions to improve the program.
- Providing support to the client Asbestos Helpdesk related to the underground lines program.
- Performing desktop reviews on various types of underground distribution system assets.
- Networking with internal and external clients to develop work opportunities
- Supporting the client project manager to conduct field survey pilot programs.
This position will be primarily office based, with some travel required for meetings with clients / internal company meetings and periodically short site visits with client.
If a need arises, and depending on the candidates qualifications, additional field work in town / out of town may be required to conduct hazardous materials surveys and reporting to support other work.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
The position requires retrieving data from various client databases, civil and electrical drawings, and GIS systems to support program tracking and planning. The position requires attention to detail, strong organizational skills, ability to manage repetitive tasks, and creativity in problem solving. Some site visits may be required to electrical transmission and distribution facilities. If you have a successful track record of project coordination and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this opportunity is for you.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment interacting with multiple client managers and staff.
- Attention to details and ability to work on repetitive tasks producing consistent high-quality products.
- Strong computer skills, including strong Excel skills and the ability to program in Visual Basic to efficiently extract and organize data from a variety of sources. Experience with managing data from GIS systems is considered a plus.
- 2 to 5 years of relevant work experience supporting asset management programs. Experience with Regulated Materials, Occupational Hygiene and/or Environmental Health and Safety field considered a plus.
- Post-secondary technical certificate or degree. Bachelor of Science or Engineering, Occupational Health and Safety, or related discipline preferred.
- Working towards professional certification, such as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng./EIT), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Canadian Registered Safety Professional (e.g., CRSP) is a plus.
- Experience with power utility systems, transmission and distribution systems in particular, is an asset.
- Experience in the Consulting industry is a definite asset.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to technical excellence.
- Creativity and problem-solving skills, with the ability to adapt and work in a team environment