Hardware Engineer Co-op (Fall 2023)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Interns, Students & Temporary
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We’re a company rooted in people—seeking to create a vibrant and inclusive environment, where everyone feels they can belong.
- Accelerate your career path by gaining hands-on experience and exposure to the latest technology. Our interns and graduates work on real projects in real time in world class labs. Be a part of tomorrow’s future – today.
- Mentoring. Networking. Leadership Opportunities. We recognize that the learning doesn’t stop when you leave school - we champion a team environment for development and provide the tools to achieve success.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration. Our people make a big difference at Ciena, but we want to shine light on their differences outside of working hours too. CienaCares supports non-profit causes important to employees by matching employee financial contributions and dedicating time for volunteering.
4 month work term: Sep 2023 – December 2023
How You Will Contribute:
Reporting to a Director, Hardware Engineering, you will work alongside a team of experienced hardware engineers responsible for designing and maintaining Ciena’s flagship Wavelogic™ optical modems. These products enable fiber optic data rates of up to 800 Gbps and are used by many of the largest telecommunications companies in the world including Verizon, AT&T, and Bell Canada to enable the Internet as we know it today.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Design Process: simulation, functional schematic, physical PCB layout reviews, documentation
- Lab Hands-on: hardware debug, electrical design verification vs. datasheet specs
- Component Qualification: spec reviews and research to qualify alternate sources due to shortages or to enable cost reductions
- Yield Data Analysis: review large-scale manufacturing data to assess design or test changes to improve factory yield
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Integrity – you hold yourself to the highest level of personal and professional standards of conduct.
- A commitment to innovation – you continually seek to learn, understand new technologies and ever-changing market conditions, and endeavour to apply that knowledge to Ciena’s advantage.
- You embrace change – thriving in a diverse environment of ever-changing priorities and sometimes stressful situations.
- The flexibility to work independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a broader team.
The Must Haves:
- Working towards completion of Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
- Foundational knowledge of lab equipment: Multimeters, oscilloscopes, basic soldering.
- Demonstrated proficiency with HW Design process: schematic, layout, design documentation as well as statistical analysis techniques (histogram distributions, STDev, CpK)
- Demonstrated interest in prototyping/embedded hardware projects
- Experience with Cadence Allegro toolset
- Experience with scripting languages (i.e Python, Tcl)
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.