Hardware Design Co-op (Fall 2023)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Interns, Students & Temporary
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We’re a company rooted in people—seeking to create a vibrant and inclusive environment, where everyone feels they can belong.
- Accelerate your career path by gaining hands-on experience and exposure to the latest technology. Our interns and graduates work on real projects in real time in world class labs. Be a part of tomorrow’s future – today.
- Mentoring. Networking. Leadership Opportunities. We recognize that the learning doesn’t stop when you leave school - we champion a team environment for development and provide the tools to achieve success.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration. Our people make a big difference at Ciena, but we want to shine light on their differences outside of working hours too. CienaCares supports non-profit causes important to employees by matching employee financial contributions and dedicating time for volunteering.
4 month work term: Sept 2023 to December 2023
8 month work term: Sept 2023 to April 2024
How You Will Contribute:
Integrated with the hardware development teams to provide interconnect vision and support, you will work in a team to design, implement and validate leading edge optical and electrical interconnect solutions in Ciena’s Converged Packet Optical products
- Define electrical and optical interconnect solutions and validate the electrical/mechanical /optical properties and performance.
- Work as a member of a multi-functional team to recommend appropriate interconnect solutions and provide implementation guidelines.
- Evaluate Interconnect solutions in the areas of electrical (connectors, cables and backplanes and optical (connectors, adaptors, patchcords) interconnect for their suitability in new hardware designs.
- Perform application verification testing on interconnect solutions.
- Perform high-speed signal integrity testing of backplanes and cables.
- Interface with suppliers to solicit electrical and optical interconnect solutions for system requirements.
- Submit eCAD coding requests and checking for interconnect components.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Integrity – you hold yourself to the highest level of personal and professional standards of conduct.
- A commitment to innovation – you continually seek to learn, understand new technologies and ever-changing market conditions, and endeavour to apply that knowledge to Ciena’s advantage.
- You embrace change – thriving in a diverse environment of ever-changing priorities and sometimes stressful situations.
- The flexibility to work independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a broader team.
The Must Haves:
- Working towards completion of 3rd-4th year Undergraduate or Masters program in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, preferably with prior co-op experience in related fields
- Knowledge of physical and material aspects of interconnect systems relating to optical and electrical connection system performance and reliability, including base materials, plating systems, optical loss, and tolerance analysis.
- Experience with lab test equipment and measurement techniques.
- Good communication, enthusiastic, interpersonal, and teamwork skills are essential.
- Understanding of high speed signaling, transmission lines, digital and analog design is an asset.
- Experience with PCB schematic capture and layout tools is an asset.
- Familiarity with communication protocols (OTN, Ethernet, SONET, Fiber Channel).
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.