GTA Office – Opportunities in Trade & Customs (Tax) – Summer Intern 2024
City : Toronto
Category : Tax
Industry : Finance
Employer : KPMG
Please note that you are limited to ONE APPLICATION during the spring recruitment period as we ask you to think ahead to what office and service line you are interested in.
At KPMG in Canada, you’ll join a team of diverse and dedicated problem solvers, connected by a common cause: turning insight into opportunity for clients and communities around the world.
Do work that matters, supported by a community that values difference and cares about you. Gain learning that’ll last you a lifetime and be recognized for the impact you make. With a focus on encouraging employees to come as they are, KPMG provides its employees with a variety of unique tools and support systems that ensure they thrive and make their mark in their career and in their communities.
What you will do
Our Toronto office is seeking college students to join the team as a summer intern in Summer 2024 as a part of our Trade & Customs (Indirect Tax) group under our Tax practice. Students should not be in school during this time.
Please note: CPA PER requirements CANNOT be met in this group. This role is note intended for CPA or future CPA candidates.
Our Indirect Tax Team:
Using extensive industry experience and by continuously monitoring legislative, judicial, and administrative policy changes, Indirect Tax professionals help manage indirect tax responsibilities and the associated costs to each business. You will:
- Provide advice to clients, in a variety of industries, on import and export matters
- Research Canadian customs legislation and related regulatory matters
- Research and draft advice on trade & customs matters
- Formulate ideas and deliver possible trade savings opportunities
- Perform data analysis and prepare Excel reports including pivot tables and dashboards
- Assist in the delivery of multiple client engagements on time and within budget
- Maintain active communication with clients in an effort to manage expectations and satisfaction
- Assist in the preparation of presentations and newsletters
To learn more about the service line, please click here: KPMG Canada, Tax, Trade & Customs.
What’s in it for you:
Our Intern program aims to develop the next generation of leaders through challenging and interesting work. During your term, you will gain authentic engagement experience working with client projects across our teams. Along the way, you will broaden your skill set through KPMG’s vast learning and development opportunities that you can take on to your future career.
What you bring to the role
- Currently attending a university or college program within the following majors: Customs Border Services, International Business, Economics, Business, Accounting, History, English, and/or Politics.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills with a strong proficiency in MS Excel
- Passion for learning about Trade & Customs or previous experience in the field of trade & customs, which may include experience with tariff classification, valuation, trade agreements, customs entry processes is considered an asset
- Prior knowledge or interest in learning about supply chain functions and geopolitical affairs
- Demonstrated interest in and/or knowledge of trade and regulatory matters
- Highly motivated and a strong team player
- Excellent multi-tasker and work effectively towards tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Previous experience in technology or accounting would be considered beneficial
- Customs accreditation (e.g. CCS) is considered an asset
How you will succeed:
- You have a strong academic record
- You build collaborative relationships: Establishes strong relationships internally and externally and builds wide and productive networks
- You develop and motivate others: Engages others, instils confidence, and coaches people to find meaning in their work and achieve exceptional results
- You take opportunities to learn and adapt: Uses insights and self-reflection to build capability and embrace new challenges
- You drive quality: Delivers high-quality results and exceptional service that provide value
- You foster innovation: Embraces a culture of innovation and experimentation to create value
Thrive with Us at KPMG
To learn more about how you can thrive with us at the firm, explore life at KPMG in Canada!
Start your journey and make your mark with KPMG today!
Please apply directly to KPMG at Students - KPMG Canada (home.kpmg).
All applications must be received no later than Monday, May 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST.
Feeling a little overwhelmed with the application process? Don’t worry – we've got you covered! Check out our resume and interview tips available over at our Application Journey page!
What is required for this application process:
- Please limit your application to one role at the location of your choice based on your interests. You will be asked to complete an application questionnaire where you can outline your preferences. Please carefully review which specific opportunities are available before submitting your application, as openings vary by office.
- Applications can be addressed to “Hiring Manager” and should include a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript. If you do not have access to an electronic copy of your transcript, we ask that you attach a screenshot of your grades from your school’s website.
- All considered applicants must have or will obtain legal authorization to work in Canada by the start date of employment.
If you experience any difficulties with the online system, please contact email@example.com.
Our Values, The KPMG Way
Integrity, we do what is right | Excellence, we never stop learning and improving | Courage, we think and act boldly | Together, we respect each other and draw strength from our differences | For Better, we do what matters
KPMG in Canada is a proud equal opportunities employer and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success and we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose KPMG in Canada as your employer of choice. For more information about Inclusion, Diversity & Equity in Recruitment, please click here.
For general recruitment-related inquiries, please contact the HR Delivery Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a question about accessible employment at KPMG, or to begin a confidential conversation about your individual accessibility or accommodation needs through the recruitment process, we encourage you to contact us at email@example.com or phone: 416-777-8002 or toll free 1-888-466-4778.