Groundwater Science Team Lead
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Groundwater Science Team Lead - ( 230000R2 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environment talent on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
An opportunity exists for a highly motivated, technically proficient, and very organized Team Lead (TL) to join our Groundwater Science team within our Alberta-based Environmental Services Business Centre (BC1235). You will report directly to a Business Center Practice Leader (BCPL) and work closely with BC Leaders and other TLs within the Business Center. As a TL, you will form a key part of the BC’s leadership team and will help grow our business through ongoing recruitment, retention, and development of staff.
Stantec's Groundwater Science team provides a full range of environmental assessment and remediation services, providing our clients with integrated, professional, and sustainable solutions to their environmental concerns. Our Groundwater Science team is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and proactively. Our team members work on a variety of projects, including environmental monitoring, environmental impact assessments, water supply assessments, in-situ/ex-situ remedial design and implementation, Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments, compliance monitoring and complex Brownfield redevelopment projects. Our staff of professionals includes specialists in environmental site assessment, site remediation, and hydrogeology. We help our clients reduce their environmental liabilities by developing comprehensive assessment and remediation programs. We provide integrated, multidisciplinary services to identify and assess liabilities and risks, and develop solutions for site management, remediation, and mitigation.
Growing your career sometimes means taking chances and moving outside of your comfort zone. It also means raising your hand for opportunities that further your technical, leadership, and client services skills. If you are interested in evolving your professional experience, apply today!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Daily operational management of up to 15 Groundwater Science professionals
- Communication of the organization’s operational expectations and execution of the strategic vision of the Business Center
- Resource planning and management of team by monitoring staff utilization and availability
- Work with team members to align their professional challenges with their career plans and business goals
- Conduct Goal Setting and Performance Review process for team members and work with BC leadership to make sure training plans and performance targets are identified and met
- Maintain a focus on recognition and morale building within the team and planning staff appreciation initiatives
- Provide on-going performance evaluation / constructive feedback and initiate performance management when needed
- Collaborate with safety personnel and leadership to support mandatory training requirements of team members
- Initiate and chair Groundwater Science team meetings
- Attend regular TL meetings with leadership and Human Resources
- Contribute to compensation, leadership level and job category discussions
- Lead or participate with recruiting and onboarding of new personnel through identifying potential candidates, reviewing resumes and participating in the interview process
- Work with the team to drive new technical initiatives or service lines
- Participate in project work as part of the team and achieve 50% utilization
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven experience and ability to lead a diverse group of individuals in a fast-paced dynamic work environment; previous consulting experience considered an asset
- Dynamic leader with the ability to work collaboratively and motivate people toward a shared vision
- Creative, solutions-focused thinker with strong inter-personal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Active and empathetic listener, experienced in navigating difficult personal and professional conversations aimed at a positive and productive outcome
- Committed and supportive delegator who is highly organized, able to multi-task and prioritize
- Confident and collaborative decision maker
- Open and honest communicator with proven ability to provide positive and constructive feedback to staff
- Previous leadership or management experience is desirable
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in environmental or natural sciences such as degree in Environmental Science, Geology, Hydrogeology or Engineering or relevant technologist certificate program.
Minimum 8 years of relevant environmental experience.
P.Eng. or P.Geo Member in good standing with APEGA (or another equivalent provincial association) preferred.
Knowledge of relevant provincial and federal regulations and guidelines.
Previous experience with hydrogeologic field work and including sampling and monitoring protocols, subsurface drilling programs.
Experience in Environmental Site Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments, numerical groundwater modeling, hydrogeologic mapping and interpretation considered an asset.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1235 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Manager
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 17, 2023, 3:35:07 PM
Req ID: 230000R2
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans