Grounds Keeper (Seasonal Equipment Operator)
City : Banff
Category : Physical Facilities
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
This is a term position from November 2022 to March 31, 2023.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
We acknowledge, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Goodstoney Band – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
Physical Facilities is looking for Seasonal Groundspersons to perform grounds maintenance, snow removal, and landscape construction on campus. The Groundspersons' responsibilities will change with the seasons, with the main priority of ensuring the safety of the physical grounds for all visitors to campus.
Roles and responsibilities
- Perform winter-related duties to ensure safe conditions on and around the campus including snow removal by hand, using small engine tools or light duty machines; sweeping and sanding sidewalks; chipping and removing ice; operating skid-steer or plow truck
- Perform landscaping work including leveling and preparing grounds for seeding, sodding and planting, moving soil and gravel, constructing fences, pouring concrete and building retaining walls
- Daily cleaning of the campus including emptying garbage and picking litter, removing weeds, mowing lawns, raking leaves, tending to flower pots, tree maintenance including removal of dead tree branches, preparing beds for the winter season
- Operate small power tools including chainsaws, leaf blowers, snow blowers, sidewalk sweepers
- Operate light to heavy equipment including tractors, skid-steers, front end loaders and specialized equipment for various reasons such as spraying, removing snow, sanding and sweeping sidewalks and parking lots, lawn mowing, bed digging, planting and/or transplanting or removing trees and shrubs
- In the absence of the Operations Manager or Grounds Lead Hand, exercising judgment and making decisions based on seasonal weather conditions and changes on appropriate actions to ensure safe conditions on and around campus
- Perform minor repairs and service on mobile equipment, small machines, and irrigation tools
- Assist other trades within Physical Facilities, other Banff Centre departments, as well as Banff Centre clients with related needs in such areas as signage installation, event set-ups and break-downs, etc.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Good working knowledge of grounds maintenance, snow removal, general horticultural practices, irrigation, landscape construction and tools, equipment, and machinery operation, service and repair common in the landscape field.
- Knowledge of the proper and detailed operation and maintenance of hand and power tools as well as light and heavy duty machines and specialized equipment.
- Class “5” Alberta driver’s license.
- Able to perform strenuous physical work in all types of weather conditions.
- Skid-steer and bobcat experience is considered an asset.
- There are specific clothing requirements for this position.
- This position is required to be outdoors for extended periods of time, often in inclement weather.
- During the snow removal season, this position will be outdoors performing manual snow removal all day.
- Due to changing weather conditions, the Groundsperson may be requested to work non-scheduled days and nights as required to ensure the safety of people on Banff Centre grounds.
Employment Terms & Benefits
- In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500-hour probationary period.
- This position pays $17.24 per hour working up to 37.5 hours per week.
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Staff housing options (based on availability)
- Professional development
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate + first month free for new staff
- Free or reduced admission to selected Banff Centre performance and events.
- We are accepting applications for the Seasonal Groundsperson positions until 11:59pm MST October 7, 2022.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record prior to extension of a final employment offer.
- Visa Requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
All Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity Employees are encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.