Graduation Coordinator & Colleague Specialist
City : Guelph
Category : Other
Industry : Education and Research
Employer : University of Guelph
Forbes Ranks U of G Among Canada's Top Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Position covered by the Collective Agreement with USW Local 4120
Graduation Coordinator & Colleague Specialist
Enrolment Services, Office of Registrarial Services
Temporary full-time from November 2023 to October 31, 2024
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2023-0647
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Working on a team with another Graduation Coordinator & Colleague Specialist and reporting to the Assistant Registrar, Enrolment & Graduation, this position is responsible for the accurate interpretation, creation, and maintenance of all of the undergraduate, Guelph-Humber and associate diploma academic program and course information housed on the University’s student information system (Colleague). This requires specialized knowledge to build complex and accurate degree audits, in addition to course prerequisite and restrictions rules used as enrolment management tools to ensure appropriate student access to course sections. The incumbent will require a comprehensive understanding of University academic policies, procedures and practices as they relate to academic programs, curriculum, enrolment, degree completion and graduation.
As a Colleague knowledge expert, they assist with the testing of scheduled upgrades made to the Colleague software package related to all areas of Enrolment Services (ES) operations. The incumbent will also develop training documents related to all ES procedures, act as support for large Colleague processes such as course enrolment, and, run semesterly processes to accurately assess and close programs according to policy. As expert Colleague users, the incumbents are considered the primary resource on degree audit, graduation, and course enrolment procedures and work closely with SIS Analysts to troubleshoot, identify, and solve problems.
As the Graduation Coordinator, the incumbent is accountable for a wide variety of duties and critical responsibilities relating to the processing of over 5,000 graduation and convocation records for the Guelph campus graduate, undergraduate and associate diploma students three times a year (February, June and October). This includes: the application, approval and ceremony selection processes, the printing of the degree parchment on all three campuses, and the standing and academic credential processes for all campuses. The incumbent will play an important role at all Guelph convocation ceremonies and participate in, and contribute to, the convocation events planning meetings chaired by the Associate Director, Office of Ceremonies and Events. In addition, the incumbent will communicate regularly to graduates through mass email and individual email inquiries from students, staff, and faculty regarding the graduation application and convocation processes.
- College diploma (undergraduate degree preferred) and two (2) years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to break down complex material into logical, workable components in a comprehensive manner
- A thorough working understanding of how “computer logic” works to be able to effectively work with the Colleague degree audit syntax (computer language used to create degree audit rules and requirements, enrolment restrictions, prerequisites, etc.)
- A through working understanding of all aspects of the colleague modules being used at the University of Guelph, with in-depth knowledge of the academic records, curriculum management, degree audit, registration, graduation, communication, biographic and WebAdvisor/Student Planning modules
- Ability to handle the considerable latitude for independent action and judgement required in the position as well as work as a team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate clearly, calmly, and professionally, with a broad range of university staff, students and parents, while exercising judgement and diplomacy.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively while managing large volumes of inquiries and tasks of varying complexity.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, with multiple interruptions and strict timelines while maintaining a high quality of work and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to critically analyse workflow processes and identify problems, recommend changes and implement solutions which provide excellent customer service.
- Sound knowledge of MS Office, including Access, Excel, Word, and Outlook. Ability to use Adobe Acrobat and update website on occasion
Covering Position Number 439-002
Classification USW, Local 4120 Salary Band 5
Normal Hiring Range $27.43 - $30.65 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 10 23
Closing Date: 2023 10 30