Global Trade Director, Cleantech
City : Ottawa
Category : Full-time
Industry : Financial
Employer : Export Development Canada (EDC)
Export Development Canada (EDC) is a financial Crown corporation dedicated to helping Canadian businesses make an impact at home and abroad. EDC offers financial products and knowledge to help Canadian businesses confidently enter new markets, reduce financial risk, and grow their business.
When you join our team, you’ll be helping Canadian businesses learn the endless possibilities that open to them through export and help bring their vision, passion, and innovation to the world. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 25,000 Canadian businesses and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide. You’ll work amongst the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making an impact every day – for businesses, for Canada and for the people you work with.
Are you ready to make an impact? Join EDC, recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer, as we take on the risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world. #LI-Hybrid
We are looking for an experienced candidate to join our Business Development team to deliver on our mandate of creating business opportunities for Canadian exporters and investors. In the role of the Global Trade Director the successful candidate will leverage their extensive professional network, business development skills, industry expertise, deep knowledge of Canadian capabilities and global supply chains to develop, lead and maintain relevant industry sector strategies and generate and nurture new export business opportunities for Canadian companies.
The position will focus on identifying Canadian companies with strong and relevant capabilities and build relationships with these companies with a goal of promoting them where there are identified international opportunities.
The Global Trade Director will have deep industry knowledge in the following sector and a strong understanding of Canadian companies’ product offerings, technical capabilities, and competitive advantages. In this role, the Global Trade Director will identify where the Canadian capabilities fit within targeted foreign companies’ global value chains.
The Global Trade Director is accountable for establishing and maintaining relationships with Canadian companies as well as Canadian sector associations/partners and/or international companies. They are also accountable for participating in sector events, facilitating the introductions of Canadian companies to international opportunities, and in support of EDC’s Business Connections program, providing recommendations on Canadian supply potential related to targeted international supply chains.
If you have relevant industry experience in the sector listed below and the drive and passion to directly impact the success of Canadian exporters, then apply to join our team.
Clean Technologies: The ideal candidate will have an in depth understanding of the Canadian Clean technologies sector including but not limited to Agtech, circular economy, ESG services and climate disclosures, biofuels, hydrogen solutions, renewables and energy storage. This expertise will be applied across a spectrum of vertical industries where companies are aggressively seeking cleantech solutions to address the need for low-carbon energy, scarcity of water and other natural resources while decreasing the carbon intensity of their operation.
- Develop and maintain relevant industry sector strategies for EDC taking into consideration relevant Canadian expertise and industry growth trends and opportunities.
- Qualify relevance/capability of Canadian companies to expand sales opportunities for Canadian exporters in international markets.
- Provide deep expertise on the business and technical capabilities and competitiveness of Canadian companies and identify “best in class” companies for priority support and introductions.
- Represent the voice of the Canadian companies with regards to presenting Canadian solutions to the business needs and requirements of EDC’s international business networks and customers.
- Work with various EDC teams and external partners to keep current on emerging Canadian technologies and Canadian expertise and gather market intelligence in specified sectors of expertise to augment and maintain relevant industry sector strategies.
- Establish and lead internal and external virtual teams including sector associations, innovation hubs and government partners to complement Cleantech team’s priorities and activities
- Through deep relationships developed with targeted Canadian companies, identify and facilitate introductions to internal EDC colleagues that can provide additional support through other relevant EDC products and services.
- Build relationships with Canadian companies to understand their business plans, foreign markets of interest, technical capabilities, product offerings and competitive advantages to enable trade connections of these companies through either direct introductions or through trade events.
- Collaborate with colleagues to maximize multi-sector trade creation activities with foreign buyers and prospects.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration /Finance, Engineering or (or equivalent professional designation) in relevant discipline
- Minimum 7 years of combined business development and technical advisory experience in the cleantech sector, including experience with heavy industries, EPC firms and cleantech funding agencies
- Strong technical knowledge of supply chains acquired through direct business activity within the cleantech sector
- Advanced knowledge of best practices in sales and/or account management
- Well developed and deep global professional network and strong technical and business knowledge acquired through directly relevant business activity
- Proven ability to work effectively in a matrix organization and lead virtual teams
- Bilingualism (English and French)
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $107,132 - $142,842 plus a performance-based incentive.
- Export Development Canada is a hybrid work environment.
- This role will be performed from EDC’s headquarters in Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto.
- Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
EDC's Commitment to Employment Equity
EDC is committed to employment equity and achieving a diverse workforce. EDC actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and members of the 2SLGBTQI+ community. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you need any special accommodation."