Global Banking and Markets – Investment Banking Intern/Co-op – Summer 2024
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Internist, General
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 174796
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Term: May-August 2024
There's no better way to find your dream job than to do a co-op or internship with Scotiabank! During your work term, you’ll have the opportunity to be part of a winning team, build your network, and discover what you love – all while getting paid to do it! There’s a place for every type of student at Scotiabank and all that we ask for is that you have passion and strong AOO (Attitude, Ownership and Opportunity).
Who we are:
Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
The Co-op Analyst Program at Scotiabank is designed to introduce undergraduate students to the stimulating and challenging career of investment banking involving debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, financial advisory work and business development in several industry sectors. Co-op Analysts will learn to perform complex financial analysis such as market comparisons, company valuations and pro-forma financial modeling. In addition, Co-op Analysts prepare company and industry specific research to support financial valuations.
Putting forth a strong and consistent effort is critical to the success and development of an Analyst at Scotiabank. Co-op Analysts must have a strong work ethic, be accommodating and maintain extremely high professional standards. A Co-op Analyst is typically involved in a number of deals and projects at the same time and will work with several senior group members concurrently. Balancing the requirements of multiple deal assignments and/or projects can be very demanding. The challenging nature of the work, combined with long hours at the office requires intense effort and dedication. Co-op Analysts must also be willing to work extended business hours, including weekends as required, in order to meet multiple work deadlines.
Co-op Analysts will have access to the Global Banking and Markets Learning Program, focusing on Capital Markets, Investment Banking, Corporate Banking, Equity Research, Financial Engineering etc. In addition, Interns will have an opportunity to meet and network with students working across Scotiabank and get involved in the Scotiabank Student Social Committee.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
- Evaluating and analyzing the financial needs of corporate clients, including the development of financial models, marketing materials and presentations
- Generally supporting client pitch and deal execution efforts
- Financial and written analysis of companies and industries, including the development of valuation models, pro-forma financial statements and comparable company analysis, etc.
- Sourcing the data required to perform financial analysis
- Drafting prospectuses and marketing presentations for transactions
- Preparing client presentations
- Applying product and capital markets knowledge to help clients achieve their financial objectives.
Do you have the skills and requirements that will enable you to succeed in this role? – We’d love to work with you if:
- Proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- A clearly defined interest in Investment Banking
- Strong quantitative skills focused on financial analysis, accounting and financial theory
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- High professional standards
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to new situations
- A strong sense of personal integrity and teamwork
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn new concepts
- Independent thinker and proven ability to make decisions
What's in it for you?
- You’ll be part of a diverse, collaborative, innovative, and high-performing team
- In-depth training to prepare you for the role, as well as ongoing coaching and feedback to help you succeed
- Exclusive student events such as Scotia Student Day, Lunch & Learns, leadership panels, and much more!
- Bank-wide orientation to learn more about Scotiabank and gain exposure to senior leadership across the organization.
How do I apply?
For students applying to our internship/co-op or new graduate programs, we do not require resumes! We believe in evaluating you through relationships over resumes and are focused on learning about who you are and what you’re interested in to uncover your true potential. Instead, we ask that as part of your application you complete the below:
- Complete your PLUM Profile here and save as a screenshot.
- Complete a short one-way video interview here
- Apply to the role and when the application asks for your resume, instead upload the screenshot of your PLUM Profile.
*To be considered for student opportunities at Scotiabank, Tangerine, and MD Financial you must complete all steps above.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.