Geotechnical Laboratory Technician
City : MARKHAM
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical Laboratory Technician - ( 240000J1 )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
We are currently looking for both Junior and Senior level Geotechnical Laboratory Technicians within the Geotechnical and Materials Engineering department for our 2024 field season. As a member of our team you will work closely with an impressive team of engineers and technologists, primarily performing laboratory QA/QC monitoring and materials testing services.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Construction QA/QC Monitoring and Testing.
- Laboratory testing of soil, aggregate, concrete, mortar and bituminous paving mixtures.
- Fill placement and compaction monitoring laboratory testing.
- Fresh and hardened concrete monitoring and testing.
- Become familiar with various geotechnical laboratory testing procedures from the Canadian Standards Association, Ontario Ministry of Transportation and American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Review and complete various geotechnical testing procedures including gradation/sieve analysis, Standard Proctor, Hydrometer, moisture content and concrete cylinder. compression testing. Then calculate and report test results to Laboratory Manager.
- Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites.
- Assist in calibration of testing equipment.
- Various other QA/QC field and laboratory testing services as required.
- Reporting: You will be required to regularly complete detailed laboratory reports and submit them to the laboratory manager.
- Operations: You will be expected to support team operations and play an integral part in the success of the project. Promotion of our health and safety culture, client relations, training and mentoring of more junior staff, equipment and resources maintenance and management, and other related duties will be expected.
- For the senior level laboratory technician, assist in overall running of the Markham Geotechnical Laboratory.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Energetic, team oriented player with a commitment to superior client service.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to communicate effectively with technical and management personnel.
- Ability to work up to 12 hours per day, 6 days per week (weekend and overtime work will be required).
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- A valid Driver's License is beneficial but not required.
- CCIL/CSA certification for concrete field and laboratory testing is required. Training will be provided in order to receive the certification.
Education and Experience
- Currently enrolled in/or possess a Civil Engineering Diploma program at an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Minimum 1-year experience.
Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Some time will be spent in a typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Markham
Organization : BC-1216 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 2, 2024, 11:28:44 AM
Req ID: 240000J1
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans