Geotechnical Field Technician
City : Markham, ON
Category : Environment - Geotechnical & Materials
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
WSP has a new opportunity for a Geotechnical Field Technician on a permanent basis within the Ontario operation, at our Markham location. This opportunity will allow you to develop your technical skills in the field with like-minded professionals in a leading global professional consulting firm.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You will be providing technical services in a field and office environment;
- You will be providing technical assistance in materials-related projects and tasks, including carrying out field and laboratory testing of various materials on construction sites, in-situ density testing and testing of concrete and asphalt materials;
- You’ll perform construction site reconnaissance, inspections, and observations;
- You will be carrying out fieldwork, directing fieldwork operations for subsurface investigations including layout, supervising drill rigs and/or excavators, logging boreholes and test pits, site surveying to determine elevations at specific locations, sampling soil and groundwater, and preparing detailed site sketches;
- You’ll use specialized equipment and apparatus to prepare analyses, reports, and/or technical drawings;
- You will be summarizing and analyzing findings from investigations and lab testing for report writing; and,
- You will be working with and providing support to other members of the group in assisting with other field and office activities as required.
- It is expected that you can carry up to 50 pounds during the inspections and testing procedures in the field and lab.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- A College Diploma in a Civil Engineering Technician / Technology or Construction Engineering Technician / Technology diploma program, preferably with a focus on Geotechnical Engineering;
- Previous experience working as a geotechnical technician;
- Must own a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a valid driver’s license;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills; and,
- Knowledge of drilling procedures is an asset.
- In addition, to be successful at WSP, you will be able to demonstrate the following success attributes: an ownership attitude, initiative, enthusiasm, a desire to continually learn and grow, a detail and quality focus, good judgment, a good work ethic, adaptability, and good communication skills.