Geotechnical Engineer in Training (EIT) – Edmonton
City : Edmonton, AB
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP E&I has exciting opportunities for Geotechnical EIT(s) to join our Alberta Geotechnical Team in Edmonton, AB. This role will entail providing support to several geotechnical/geological engineers and projects in a variety of geotechnical practice areas, in a combination of analytical, technical, field/lab and reporting.
As a Geotechnical Engineer in Training with WSP E&I, you’ll be provided opportunities for both office and field/lab work.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
As a Geotechnical Engineer in Training with WSP E&I, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Compile information from geotechnical/geological reports and published documents, and evaluate and/or analyze the compiled information
- Perform increasingly complex field sampling observations and data collection assignments and support/complete engineering designs
- Progress into project management of assignments that may include conducting and coordinating of a wide variety of geotechnical investigations
- Work in a range of practice areas that include geohazard and routing studies, stability assessments, heavy industrial foundations and infrastructure, tunneling, dams, mining, tailings and/or geo-environmental projects
- Maintain and develop internal and client relationships
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelors degree in geotechnical, geological, or civil (materials) engineering from an accredited post-secondary institution. Masters degree an asset
- Current registration or eligible for registration as an Engineering in Training (EIT) with APEGA.
- Preferred 1-3 years industry experience since graduation in providing practical geological/geotechnical engineering services relevant to a variety of sectors (petrochemical, mining, transportation, civil municipal, commercial, resource industries, utilities, building structures)
- Strong written and oral communication (English) skills
- Desire to provide excellent practical client service and a commitment to technical excellence
- Ability and desire to build and supervise in a challenging local/regional market consulting practice
- Well organized, with the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time, deliver on time and on budget