Geotechnical Co-op Student- Summer 2023
City : Kelowna, BC
Category : Environment - Geotechnical & Materials
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Carrying out field investigations, including borehole layout, utility clearances, supervision of drill rigs and/or excavators, logging boreholes and test pits, surveying, and slope inspections
- Performing construction site reconnaissance, observations, and inspections (for example, footing inspections, nuclear gauge testing, and concrete testing)
- Reviewing soil and rock samples in our laboratory, scheduling geotechnical laboratory testing, carrying out laboratory testing, and compiling test results for use on engineering projects
- Summarizing and analyzing findings from reconnaissance/inspections, investigations, and lab testing
- Analyzing and modelling slope stability, settlement, foundation design, soil retaining structures, and other geotechnical problems
- Preparing or assisting with preparing engineering memos, reports, and presentations
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical (Civil or Geological) Engineering
- Eligible or in the process of obtaining registration with EGBC
- Strong people skills and a desire and ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Demonstrating a “Safety-First” focus and acting as a role model to other staff
- Maintaining a high standard of behaviour to uphold WSP’s reputation and demonstrating a commitment to our Core Values
- Valid driver’s license