Geotechnical/Civil Engineer (Trenchless)
City : Edmonton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical/Civil Engineer (Trenchless) - ( 220001OF )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on-site, and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
We have an immediate opening for an Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Engineer to support the Canadian Geotechnical Practice’s Tunneling and Trenchless service line.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in a variety of projects including water conveyance infrastructure, oil and gas pipelines, power distribution infrastructure, transportation projects, flood mitigation projects, and renewable energy developments. Whether you are working remotely or from our Burnaby, Calgary, or Edmonton offices, you will have the chance to collaborate with multidisciplinary design teams, trenchless experts, and our geotechnical, geohazard, geomorphology, and materials testing experts across North America. This role will allow you to leverage your geotechnical project experience and take on increased responsibility while receiving senior mentorship from industry-leading experts.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Complete business development activities and prepare proposals
- Lead and manage geotechnical projects and design tasks
- Develop and maintain strong client relations
- Mentor, coach, and train junior staff
- Develop subsurface investigation programs for determination of the feasibility of construction for various trenchless installation methods
- Evaluate surface and subsurface conditions based on collected data and information to prepare baseline reports and determine the feasibility of trenchless construction and preferred construction techniques
- Communicate regularly with clients regarding project status and technical discussions related to trenchless construction applications
- Assess the application of trenchless technologies (Horizontal Directional Drilling, microtunneling, tunneling, Direct Pipe, etc.) and participate in the definition and selection of preferred method(s)
- Prepare and/or support the preparation of design and construction documentation
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong client, sub-consultant, and contractor management experience
- Strong technical understanding and experience with soil and rock classification, trenchless technology evaluation, slope stability, earthworks construction, pipeline, and utility construction, and other geotechnical design aspects
- Knowledge and experience with the preparation of design documentation, settlement analysis, hydraulic fracture analysis, soil to pipe interaction are considered assets
- Excellent organizational ability, report writing, and verbal communication are essential
- Project experience and relations with municipal infrastructure operators (Metro Vancouver, Enmax, City of Calgary, etc.) and/or pipeline operators are considered an asset
Education and Experience
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering or Geological Engineering from a recognized university; a Post-graduate degree in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering would be an asset
Minimum of 10 years experience in geotechnical engineering design and consulting,
Professional Engineer in good standing.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Job : Geotechnical Engineer
Organization : BC-1233 Environmental Services-GE-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 4, 2022, 12:36:55 PM
Req ID: 220001OF
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans