Geotechnical and Tailings Co op Student
City : Thompson, MB, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Want to work with leading technology?
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
The Tailings and Dams group is part of a larger Team reporting through the Vale Base Metals North Atlantic organization. The Tailings and Dams group at our Manitoba site is an integral part of Vale’s Operations and aligned with the Tailings Dams Management System and Vale’s short and long-term dam safety strategy. Tailings and waste rock are used to build containment dams and deposited sub aqueously or subaerial. There are numerous conveyance systems, pipelines, pumps, mobile equipment, etc., operated by several crew members in this area. In addition, this team has a group of experience engineers who support the dam construction, maintenance, surveillance, and deposition in the tailings area.
The group also provides monitoring and implements tailings management systems to ensure compliance throughout our operations. Members of this team work collaboratively to support the operations including dam monitoring and tailings deposition, project support, closure planning, waste management, internal and external reporting, as well as community and government liaison.
We are currently seeking a Geotechnical and Tailings Co-op Student, for a 4 -12 month term to join our Tailings and Dams team in our Manitoba Operations.
Additionally in this position, you will:
- Make regular site and visual inspections of the Tailings dams
- Participate in monitoring and data analysis
- Provide project support of design and evaluation of containment dams
- Assist with Geotechnical investigations and data collection
- Support the tailings operations, planning and deposition
- Assist with site specific geophysical and hydrogeology studies
- Participate in dam and tailings emergency training or drills
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in a technical curriculum. Environmental or Civil Engineering, engineering technology or relevant technical program
- Experience in an industrial environment will be considered an asset
- Demonstrate open and transparent dialogue in all aspects of work
- Follow Vale’s safety policies, programs and legislative standards
- Must be obsessed with safety and Risk
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 products to include Teams, Word, Excel, Outlook. Basic to intermediate understanding of Datamine Studio 3 helpful. Basic to intermediate proficiency in Deswik or other mine planning software preferred
- Strong verbal, written and analytical communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and work well with others in a team environment
- Maintain a high level of professional conduct
- Provide technical support and enable safe and cost-effective operations
- Ensure compliance to the applicable regulations, standards and guidelines
- Utilize good engineering practices while minimizing costs
- Complete assigned projects safely and on time
How can Vale grow your career?
The Geotechnical and tailings engineering Co-op student position is an opportunity that will allow the right candidate to gain valuable practical experience, knowledge and be a part of shaping our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities to build your professional network
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: May 29, 2023]]>