Geotechnical and Materials Lab Technician/ Technologist
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical and Materials Lab Technician/ Technologist - ( 24000094 )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. We perform geotechnical studies to solve pressing infrastructure and construction rehabilitation issues. Sometimes, we break new ground with our ideas. Other times, we’re bringing stability to a project. We push the boundaries as leaders and experts in our field and encourage our fellow team members to do the same. Join our team today!
Stantec in Calgary, AB is seeking a Geotechnical Laboratory Technologist to work in our materials and geotechnical laboratory.
Your Key Responsibilities
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for:
- Carrying out laboratory tests within our soils, concrete and asphalt laboratory with emphasis on soils and advanced soils testing procedures
- Ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained in accordance with specifications
- Coordinating with Calgary office Team Leads and Project Managers to establish priority of laboratory testing and schedule work to meet project timelines as needed
- Maintaining an organized environment including soil inventory and equipment within a team of laboratory and field specialists
- Interacting with Materials and Geotechnical Engineers routinely
- Operating and maintaining specialized computerized and digital testing equipment
- Continuing to improve your technical abilities and certifications within the framework of the laboratory area of practice
- Capable of regularly lifting 25 kg test samples as required by the applicable test procedure
- The role will require overtime and weekends
- Promotion of our health and safety culture, client relations, training and mentoring of more junior staff, equipment and resources maintenance and management, and other related duties will be expected.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional development and career advancement. The successful candidate will join our group of over 40 geotechnical professionals in Calgary and receive mentorship and training from our experienced team of technologists, engineers-in-training and professional engineers.
Education and Experience
As an ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- Hold a technician/technologist diploma from a recognized college
- Prior experience in a geotechnical laboratory environment
- Current registration with ASET and hold designation as a T.T, C.Tech. or C.E.T.
- Have experience with laboratory soil testing procedures such Atterberg Limits, hydrometers, grain size analyses.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with advanced soil testing procedures such as Direct shear, Consolidation and Triaxial testing.
- CCIL Certification for soils, concrete and asphalt would be and asset.
- Experience with AT (Alberta Transportation) projects would be an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities
- Willingness to be a team player with a strong ability to work independently
- Highly organized, and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments
- Comfortable with variability in day-to-day tasks
- An understanding of ASTM and CSA Standards, as you will be required to know these standards to complete daily tasks
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1233 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 18, 2024, 12:21:10 PM
Req ID: 24000094
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans