Geotechnical and Materials Field Technician/ Technologist
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical and Materials Field Technician/ Technologist - ( 24000074 )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. We perform geotechnical studies to solve pressing infrastructure and construction rehabilitation issues. Sometimes, we break new ground with our ideas. Other times, we’re bringing stability to a project.
We are currently looking for students to work as Field Technicians (Seasonal & Co-op) within the Geotechnical and Materials Engineering department to be based out of our Calgary, AB office.
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, you will work closely with an impressive team of engineers and technologists, primarily performing field and laboratory QA/QC monitoring and testing services. Primary duties may include:
- Construction QA/QC Monitoring and Testing:
+ Field and laboratory testing of soil, aggregate, concrete, mortar and bituminous paving mixtures.
+ Fill placement and compaction monitoring.
+ Fresh and hardened concrete monitoring and testing.
+ Deep and shallow foundation construction.
+ Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites.
+ Various other QA/QC field and laboratory testing services as required
- Reporting: You will be required to regularly complete detailed field and laboratory reports and submit them to the laboratory manager
- Operations: You will be expected to support team operations and play an integral part in the success of the project. Promotion of our health and safety culture, client relations, training and mentoring of more junior staff, equipment and resources maintenance and management, and other related duties will be expected.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
As the successful candidate, you will possess the following qualifications:
- Have completed or are currently enrolled in a Civil Engineering Diploma or Degree program.
- Energetic, team oriented player with a commitment to superior client service.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to communicate effectively with technical and management personnel remotely.
- Ability to work up to 12 hours per day, 6-7 days per week (weekend and overtime work will be required, and up to 24 consecutive days of work as projects dictate)
- Available to work on out of town projects, typically 1 to 3 weeks but as long as 4 weeks at a time.
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- A valid Driver's License is required.
- CCIL/CSA certification for concrete field and laboratory testing is required. Training will be provided in order to receive the certification.
- Moderate lifting up to 20 Kg and traversing uneven ground will be required.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1233 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech West
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 16, 2024, 2:06:24 PM
Req ID: 24000074
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans