Geotechnical and Materials Field Technican/ Technologist
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical and Materials Field Technican/ Technologist - ( 2200041H )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. We perform geotechnical studies to solve pressing infrastructure and construction rehabilitation issues. Sometimes, we break new ground with our ideas. Other times, we’re bringing stability to a project.
We are currently looking for students to work as Field Technicians (Seasonal & Co-op) within the Geotechnical and Materials Engineering department to be based out of our Calgary, AB office.
Your key Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, you will work closely with an impressive team of engineers and technologists, primarily performing field and laboratory QA/QC monitoring and testing services. Primary duties may include:
- Construction QA/QC Monitoring and Testing:
+ Field and laboratory testing of soil, aggregate, concrete, mortar and bituminous paving mixtures.
+ Fill placement and compaction monitoring.
+ Fresh and hardened concrete monitoring and testing.
+ Deep and shallow foundation construction.
+ Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites.
+ Various other QA/QC field and laboratory testing services as required
- Reporting: You will be required to regularly complete detailed field and laboratory reports and submit them to the laboratory manager
- Operations: You will be expected to support team operations and play an integral part in the success of the project. Promotion of our health and safety culture, client relations, training and mentoring of more junior staff, equipment and resources maintenance and management, and other related duties will be expected.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- As the successful candidate, you will possess the following qualifications:
- Energetic, team oriented player with a commitment to superior client service.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to communicate effectively with technical and management personnel remotely.
- Ability to work up to 12 hours per day, 6-7 days per week (weekend and overtime work will be required, and up to 24 consecutive days of work as projects dictate)
- Available to work on out of town projects, typically 1 to 3 weeks but as long as 4 weeks at a time.
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- A valid Driver's License is required.
- CCIL/CSA certification for concrete field and laboratory testing is required. Training will be provided in order to receive the certification.
- Moderate lifting up to 20 Kg and traversing uneven ground will be required.
Education and Experience
Have completed or are currently enrolled in a Civil Engineering Diploma or Degree program.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1233 Environmental Services-GE-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 25, 2022, 4:01:50 PM
Req ID: 2200041H
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans