Geotech and Materials Field/Lab Technician
City : SAINT JOHN
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotech and Materials Field/Lab Technician - ( 240000H2 )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical and materials engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
Stantec's Geotechnical and Materials Engineering Team is looking for a Seasonal Field and Lab Technician to join our team in Saint John, NB. Under the direction of the Laboratory Supervisor, you will work closely with an experienced team of engineers and technicians to become part of our dynamic team, primarily performing laboratory and field-testing services.
Your Key Responsibilities
The successful candidates will demonstrate initiative and will excel under minimal supervision. You will be comfortable in a fast-paced environment and skilled in delivering on your commitments. You will work with a team of engineers/scientists and other technologists/technicians performing general geotechnical and materials responsibilities.
In brief, positions and duties include but are not limited to:
- Travel to sites, collection of samples, obtain field data
- Inspection of drill and test pit investigations
- Conduct a full range of laboratory tests in soils/concrete/asphalt lab
- Input test data into laboratory software programs & review generated reports for accuracy
- Operating computerized and digital testing equipment
- Concrete field testing
- Compaction monitoring
- Asphalt inspection
- Construction Quality control/Quality assurance
- Inspect contractor activity
- Interacting with Materials and Geotechnical Engineers routinely
- Making sure laboratory testing equipment accuracy is maintained in good conditions and meets the calibration requirements in accordance to the manufacturer’s recommendations
- Continuing to improve your technical abilities and certifications within the framework of laboratories areas of practice
- Other general field and lab related duties
Your Capabilities and Credentials
We are looking for an energetic team player who enjoys working with a team of engineering and technical staff in providing superior service to our valued clients in Saint John, and the surrounding area.
- CCIL/CSA certification for laboratory testing would be considered an asset
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong focus on Health and Safety
- Capable of lifting 25kg test samples
- Ability to work overtime in peak periods
- Effective communications skills (computer, written, oral)
- Valid New Brunswick a Driver’s License and access to their own personal vehicle.
- Moderate lifting and traversing uneven ground will be required.
Education and Experience
- The ideal candidate will have a related academic background and work experience that includes:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent is preferred.
Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Some time will be spent in a typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-New Brunswick-Saint John
Other Locations : Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1216 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 31, 2024, 11:19:16 AM
Req ID: 240000H2
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans