Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist
City : WINNIPEG
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist - ( 22000082 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for an intermediate to senior level Geochemist / Water Quality Specialist to join our Environmental Services team in Canada. The position would be located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Regina or Saskatoon, Saskatchewan or Thunder Bay, Ontario. Flexibility in location and opportunity to work from home may be granted to an exceptional candidate. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to geochemistry water quality and hydrogeology field programs, data analysis, geochemical modeling, technical reporting and other activities for a variety of projects, with a focus on mining.
Your Key Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will be related to performing key tasks to support geochemical and water quality components of projects. Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not limited to the following:
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Design and conduct geochemical and water quality monitoring programs
- Conduct Acid Rock Drainage/Metal Leaching assessments
- Develop geochemical and water quality models
- Interpret and analyze geochemical and water quality data
- Prepare technical reports and client presentations summarizing project work, findings and recommendations.
- Develop proposals, manage tasks and budgets; coordinating with clients and subcontractors, stakeholders, and internal project staff; and performing and overseeing project technical work.
- Apply established practices, standards and guidelines.
Your Experience and Capabilities
- Strong experience with Acid Rock Drainage/Metal Leaching assessments conducted for environmental impact statements, mine closure plans and other regulatory applications.
- Demonstrated experience in development of geochemical and contaminant transport models software including PhreeqC and GoldSim applied to mining projects.
- Ability to manipulate large datasets and good knowledge of common statistical techniques used for environmental data analysis
- Good understanding of Canadian and provincial regulations and guidelines related to mine closure and water quality
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Strong technical aptitude, organizational and communications skills
- Basic understanding of project-task management
- Experience in mine water balance and hydrogeological studies is considered an asset.
- Operating GIS, three-dimensional visualization software (Leapfrog), database software and programming skills is considered an asset.
Education and Credentials
Minimum of a B.Sc. in Environmental Sciences (e.g., Geology, Hydrogeology, Earth Sciences) with a focus in chemistry or geochemistry. Professional registration is preferred (P.Geo. or P.Eng.). A minimum of five years of experience, including relevant experience in the mining sector. Valid Driver’s License required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Ontario-Thunder Bay
Job : Geochemist
Organization : BC-1114 Environmental Services-CA Prairies & Territories
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 21, 2022, 4:56:05 PM
Req ID: 22000082
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans