GBM – Trade Floor Technology Consultant (Web Developer) Internship/Co-op May 2024 (12 or 16 months)
City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Internist, General
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Term: 12 or 16 months
Start date: May 2024
Application Deadline: October 2nd, 2023
There's no better way to find your dream job than to do a co-op or internship with Scotiabank! During your work term, you’ll have the opportunity to be part of a winning team, build your network, and discover what you love – all while getting paid to do it! There’s a place for every type of student at Scotiabank and all that we ask for is that you have passion and strong AOO (Attitude, Ownership and Opportunity).
Who we are:
Global Banking & Markets (GBM) provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange, and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
As a Trade Floor Technology Consultant (Web Developer), you will work on Scotiabank’s trade floor, providing full stack web development of applications and enhancement of web-based systems. As part of the Global Banking & Markets, Trade Floor Support & Automation team, you will analyze business processes, liaise with various groups within the bank, develop web-based systems, and design user interfaces to meet business needs. You will use state of the art web development technologies, including working with large datasets, bulk editing, advanced reporting, workflow notifications, APIs, web security, and intelligent prediction using analytics/machine learning.
This position offers individuals an excellent opportunity for learning and personal development, especially to those who wish to gain exposure to capital markets and related fields. You will also get exposure to financial products, as well as leading edge trading technologies and applications such as Bloomberg.
What’s in it for you?
This position offers individuals an excellent opportunity for learning and personal development, especially to those who wish to gain exposure to capital markets and related fields.
- You’ll be part of a diverse, collaborative, innovative, and high-performing team.
- In-depth training to prepare you for the role, as well as ongoing coaching and feedback to help you succeed!
- Exclusive student events such as Scotia Student Day, Lunch & Learns, leadership panels, and much more!
- Bank-wide orientation to learn more about Scotiabank and gain exposure to senior leadership across the organization.
- Opportunity to get involved in the Scotiabank Co-op Social Committee and help plan events across Toronto.
- Work in the heart of the Financial and Entertainment Districts in downtown Toronto.
- Trade Floor Tours are available, offering a rare insight into modern financial analysis, trading, and sales.
- On-site cafeteria and free refreshments available.
Do you have the skills and requirements that will enable you to succeed in this role? – We’d love to work with you if:
- You are currently enrolled in post-secondary education.
- You love to learn and envision yourself working for an international organization that heavily invests in your future.
- You enjoy being involved in extracurricular activities such as conferences, clubs, and competitions/hackathons.
- You possess effective programming and analytical skills. Familiarity and experience with full stack web development is preferred including:
- Back-end languages (e.g. C#, ASP, Visual Basic, Python)
- SQL and relational databases (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Access)
- You have good interpersonal and communication skills. These are essential, as you will be required to work in a team environment and communicate with various channels.
- You are highly self-motivated, and able to work quickly in a dynamic, challenging, and fast-paced environment. The tools being built are constantly evolving and changing according to business needs and technological opportunities, and you will be encouraged to contribute ideas to the design and implementation of such tools as part of a collaborative process.
How do I apply?
Please complete all four steps below:
- Complete your PLUM Profile here and save as a screenshot.
- Complete a short one-way video interview here.
- Apply to the role and when the application asks for your resume, instead upload the screenshot of your PLUM Profile.
*Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is recommended that you apply at your earliest convenience.
*To be considered for student opportunities at Scotiabank, Tangerine, and MD Financial you must complete all steps above.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.