Food Safety Quality Assurance Specialist
City : Winnipeg - Lagimodiere Blvd.
Category : Other
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:As a member of the facility's FSQA team, the FSQA Specialist is responsible for microbiological analysis and reporting with speed and accuracy of raw materials, in process, and finished products samplings to ensure conformance to quality standards and food safety requirements of the company, and its customers.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Perform microbiological sampling and testing of product and plant environment
- Perform media preparation and some chemical testing
- Verify HACCP and GMP programs from compliance and train employees in food handling safety as required
- Modify and update existing standard operating procedures, develop new ones and aid in continuous improvement initiatives of lab practices and procedures.
- Prepare daily reports of sampling and testing results
- Reporting of non-compliant results to the FSQA Supervisor and Manager
- Involved in shelf-life projects and overall food safety initiatives
- Prepare SOP’s and record third party audits
- Handle all ordering of laboratory supplies
- Arrange yearly equipment servicing with vendors and send out equipment for yearly calibration
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Post secondary education in chemistry or microbiology degree or diploma program
- Previous food processing experience is a definite asset
- Knowledge of GMP and HACCP principles and programs
- Excellent computer skills, including Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook with a passion for accuracy
- Ability to get things done within a decentralized environment with minimal supervision
- Positive and professional approach with willingness to learn who likes to challenge oneself
- Good written and oral communication skills.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.