Fixed Plant Supervisor
City : Sudbury, ON, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Want to work in a leading-edge underground mine?
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
The Copper Cliff Mine Complex team is an integral part of Vale’s long-term operating strategy for its success in becoming a safe, predictable, and reliable producer. Come and join us!
We are currently seeking a Fixed Plant Supervisor to join our South Mine team in Sudbury, Ontario. This is a permanent position.
As a Fixed Plant Supervisor, you will be accountable for managing the social, commercial, and technical processes of a front-line team within established limits, to meet the maintenance and/or production goals and objectives of the work area in safety, reliability, efficiency, and quality. You will be also accountable to get a process under control and maintain the process within established limits as well as identifying special cause variances and taking actions to address issues or take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Work on a rotation schedule (5/4 day shift).
- Manage systems within the area of accountability to achieve outputs.
- Ensure Zero Harm to employees, the business, the environment, and the community.
- Achieve/exceed production quality and quantity targets while maximizing economic resources and recovery. Achieve total product and unit cost, and capital (as applicable) expenditure targets.
- Review and communicate Risk Management situations with crew members at line-up and field discussions. Follow notification protocols for incidents and initiate on-shift investigations.
- Meet objectives and comply with; Monthly Safety plans, incident reporting process, Policy/Procedure reviews, MOC system, etc.
- Perform injury management, working with employees and health care providers to successfully return the employee to work.
- Identify and correct negative special cause circumstances that are within the authority level and escalate those that are the outside authority.
- Control inventories of consumables and supplies, and order materials to achieve production and/or maintenance schedules.
- Manage overtime to within targets and distribute to crew members within the C.B.A. and provincial guidelines.
- Ensure crew qualifications are kept current for required work assignments, and schedule training as required.
- Coach and counsel employees on the standards of behaviour and take corrective actions as required, including discipline and grievance management.
- Continuously improve the performance of the production and maintenance frontline team through the effective use of established processes and procedures. This includes ensuring the completion of assigned work with increasing consistency and accuracy by:
- Assigning tasks, utilizing CPQQRT format, to team members so that work gets done in a safe and coordinated way.
- Utilize the work practices under Work Management to approve, plan, schedule, and execute tasks within the area(s).
- Assess assignments during the shift to ensure that schedules are being attained, and/or take corrective actions as required. Complete all production and/or maintenance-related reports and work orders and communicates status to oncoming shift(s).
- College diploma or university degree in a related industrial field or a university degree in a related engineering discipline is preferred.
- Valid industrial trade certificate for the province of Ontario is preferred.
- Generic Supervisor Common Core (770141) is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working within SAP and the Prometheus add-on.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience leading crews.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the Industrial Mechanics trade.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products.
- Computer skills including SAP, Excel, and Word.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and work well with others in a team environment.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Must be obsessed with safety and risk.
- Demonstrate open and transparent dialogue in all aspects of work.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company-paid core coverage, flex health, and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top-up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal-opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: May 31, 2023