First Nations/Metis/Inuit – Trust Associate – Indigenous Trusts, Scotiatrust, SWM
City : Calgary, AB, CA, T2P1N2
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 189091
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
First Nations/Metis/Inuit - Trust Associate – Indigenous Trusts, Scotiatrust, Scotia Wealth Management
This posting is intended for Indigenous Peoples as a Special Program under the Human Rights Act and the Employment Equity Act. Indigenous Peoples include First Nation, Métis and Inuit People under the Employment Equity Act within Canada. Scotiabank provides extended benefits to Indigenous employees aimed at supporting and promoting their culture.
Our Scotiatrust Indigenous Trusts National Centre of Expertise based in Calgary has national reach, and so do our Indigenous Trusts Relationship Teams located in Scotia Wealth Management offices throughout Canada. Our purpose is to protect and grow communities’ wealth for the long-term benefit of current and future generations, in a way that respects their vision, values and traditions. Our growing team works in a collaborative, inclusive and relationship-focused way with the communities we serve, internal and external partners and our colleagues, to expertly deliver on our service commitments. At Scotiatrust we believe economic reconciliation begins with respect, accountability, integrity and passion.
About the role
As a Trust Associate with the Indigenous Trusts Relationship Team – Western Region, you would provide proactive administrative and client service support to the trust officers, and their account portfolios of varying size and complexity. You would provide technical and administrative expertise for day-to-day account management, oversight and administration, delivering memorable and positive experiences for clients, beneficiaries and co-trustees.
As a member of the Indigenous Trusts National Centre of Expertise, you would gain invaluable technical knowledge about Indigenous Trusts and help us fulfill the Centre’s unique mandate to provide support and guidance to our relationship teams across Canada and partners across Scotiabank.
A day in the life
You can shine in this role by:
- Supporting the trust officers with account administration and relationship management, including communications with internal stakeholders and external contacts.
- Being knowledgeable about the trust officers’ accounts and answering questions in a time sensitive way or referring matters to other resources during the trust officers’ absence.
- Monitoring cash positions and reporting to the trust officers on cash positions that require immediate action.
- Keeping accurate accounting of payments, transactions, trades, realizations and fee collections. Conducting periodic asset reconciliations.
- Gathering, validating, collating and relaying accurate asset, liability and tax information to trust officers, accountants and other stakeholders.
- Setting up and maintaining up-to-date client and account information.
- Preparing correspondence and documenting discretionary decisions according to applicable policies and rules.
- Understanding how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Ensuring thorough knowledge of, and strict adherence to, the Bank’s Global Sales Practices.
- Actively pursuing effective and efficient operations of your respective areas, while meeting obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk.
- You would work in a standard office environment. You may be asked to attend meetings outside normal business hours or work extended hours, on some occasions. You may sometimes be asked to travel to remote locations, accompanied by senior Scotiatrust staff.
Bring Your Best
The successful candidate will have:
- Extensive experience in a technical administrative role, preferably in institutional custody, wealth management or a professional office like a law or accounting firm.
- Proven track record of providing exceptional client service.
- Baseline knowledge of trust accounting principles, taxation of trusts and estate administration.
- Working knowledge of asset management and asset administration processes and procedures.
- Post-secondary diploma or certificate, preferably in business administration, finance, commerce, accounting, legal or related field.
- Savvy with computers and technology.
- Financial industry designation such as CSC, IFIC, MTI, etc.
- A willingness to enroll in and complete the Certificate in Estate and Trust Administration (CETA) offered by the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
You bring qualities like:
- Adept at managing competing priorities in a changing environment.
- Able to see the problem, identify practical solutions and take proactive action, with direction from the relationship managers.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills, that make it easy to do business with us.
- Strong sense of ethics and personal integrity.
- Unwavering tact and professionalism.
- Winning team mentality.
- Willingness to be curious and learn every day, applying new knowledge to day-to-day activities.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive and collaborative relationships.
- Deep focus on creating memorable, consistent and positive client experiences.
Please note that this role requires being in the office 5 days a week for the first 3 months, and then will become a hybrid role with 3-4 days in the office. This could be subject to change according to Scotia policy and needs of the team.
A world of opportunities
At Scotiabank, we are more than just a team – we’re also a group of supportive, cooperative, high performing people. So, bring your ideas, your insights, your unique skills, and we’ll help you feed that passion every single day.
Our most important investment is the one we make in our people. That’s why we work to grow and diversify talent and engage employees in a performance-oriented culture. Here, you can be proud of who you are and let your true self shine.
- We’re an internationally-recognized and award-winning workplace.
- We’re always on the lookout for fresh thinking and unique skills.
- Our employees are rewarded for their contributions.
- We’re driven by core values that put our people first.
- We’re performance based and driven to succeed.
What we’re offering…
- The opportunity to join our diverse and inclusive organization and connect with other First Nations, Inuit, Métis Scotiabankers and their allies when joining our Indigenous Employee Resource Group.
- • A competitive compensation and benefits package which include:
o$10,000 annually dedicated to your well being
o Traditional Indigenous Practices Leave
o Indigenous Employee Mentoring Program
- A rewarding career path with diverse opportunities for professional development
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- Internal training to support your growth and enhance your skills
- An organization committed to making a difference in our communities– for you
Location(s): Canada : Alberta : Calgary
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.