Financial Analyst Student – 4 Month Fall Term
City : Waterloo
Category : Software & Systems
Industry : IT
Employer : BlackBerry
Worker Sub-Type:Student (Fixed Term)
Today, BlackBerry® is a transformed company. We’re no longer about the smartphone, what we once did for smartphones is what we’re now doing for Enterprise of Things (EoT) – envisioning, enabling and securing new forms of communication that are connecting the business world in extraordinary new ways. We have the most complete and advanced end-to-end solutions to enable EoT, and our ideas lead the way in the hottest markets like cybersecurity, SaaS, neural networks and autonomous vehicles.
Today our software is trusted by the world’s most important organizations, including all of the G7, 16 of the G20, NATO, financial firms, healthcare providers and educational institutions. BlackBerry technology is further embedded in millions of ‘things.’ You can find BlackBerry in smart watches, medical devices, cars, trains, robots, smart meters, TV broadcast equipment, wind turbines, hydroelectric plants, pilot training simulators, mail-sorting machines and, of course, tablets and smartphones just to name a few.
Reporting to the Director, SOX Compliance, the successful candidate will be assisting with BlackBerry’s SOX Program to meet corporate regulatory compliance requirements. This includes assisting with control design, control testing, and consulting the business on compliance results and remediation requirements. For candidates that are pursuing a CPA designation, all hours and practical experience earned through this position are eligible to count towards CPA Canada’s practical experience requirements.
Location: Waterloo, ON
Length of Term: 4 Months
What you will do
- Assistance with quarterly/annual internal control testing for business process and/or information technology general controls
- Ensuring consistent testing and a control framework methodology is documented and applied to our test plans and narratives to ensure controls are designed and functioning as intended
- Ensuring that the quality and timely output of the internal control testing performed by the individual meets BlackBerry’s internal documentation standards and external auditor requirements
- Identify and assess control weaknesses including ongoing review and monitoring of remediation plans by the process owners for the weaknesses
- Work collaboratively with key business process owners and impacted stakeholders to support the SOX business program and its initiatives
- Actively participating on implementation teams for technology and process improvement projects to ensure that new processes are compliant
Who we are looking for
- Currently pursuing a post-secondary education in a related field of study
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task effectively and prioritize tasks to meet tight deadlines
- Effective listening skills
- Quality and detail oriented
- Comfortable – and successful – working in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Stellar written and verbal communications skills
- Proven ability to think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative
- Collaborative, enthusiastic, positive outlook
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Student Life at Blackberry
- Growth Mindset: employees have access to skills training and professional development courses, mentorship programs as well as unlimited access to our on-demand learning platform.
- Commitment to Wellness: employees have access to events that support physical, mental and financial wellness. We host wellness sessions, fitness courses, discounts to local gyms and offer a 24/7 Employee Assistant Program (EAP).
- Highly collaborative teams and a supportive workplace environment, with organization-wide events and a student social committee.
- Employee Perks: we have snack and beverage programs at all locations. Students also have access to discounts for local stores, transportation, restaurants and activities.
See more about the student program at BlackBerry over on our Instagram @BlackBerryStudentLife
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40