Finance and Operations Coordinator
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $33.38
Posting Date: April 20th, 2023
Closing Date: April 26th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Finance and Operations Coordinator
Reporting to the Operations Manager, Dean of Students office, the Finance and Operations Coordinator provides leadership and administrative support that contribute to the effective and efficient operations in the Dean of Students area.
Performing a wider range of functions to contribute to the success of service operations the incumbent supports the area with budget planning including variance analysis, initial allocating and spreading of budget, and reconciliation on a monthly basis.
Ongoing in-depth understanding and responsibility for oversight of all aspects of the Dean of Students college budgets, grants and donations. This also includes development and support of strategic initiatives aligned with the College’s Strategic Plan and Capital Planning and Investment Initiatives.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- In consultation with the Operations Manager, determines budget allocations based on services’ needs, past pattern of allocation, and funding through a range of different funding sources, college operating and other specially funded projects as required
- In consultation with the Operations Manager, provides ongoing analysis of the budgets including monthly allocations, reallocations, reconciliations, corrections, transfer of expenses, and tracking outstanding expenditures.
- Ensure budgets are not overspent while determining cost saving measures that prioritize student needs. This includes preparing cost effective strategies should further budget reductions occur.
- Processes purchase orders for external service providers, and non-salary expenditures. Supports with expense claims, corporate VISA cards (pcards) for the administration team in the area
- Reviews expense claims in the Dean of Students area before submission for FOAPAL accuracy
- Helps directors/managers coordinate student staff with timesheet reminders, requesting positions via CSEP, processing contracts and forms as requested.
- Reviews salary and benefits for Unpaid Replacement Cost (URC) for part time and sessional staff in partnership with finance.
- Approves purchases in Banner for a variety of service areas
- Coordinates submissions for the Capital Planning process and investment requests
- In consultation with the Ops Manager, prepares various annual Ministry, Grant and Donation financial reports and additional College or other specific financial reports as required including submitting for approval to the appropriate Director prior to submitting to appropriate college administrators/personnel for signature.
- Organizes and maintains a comprehensive system of electronic files and documents related to the financial record keeping to ensure accurate records are maintained should a Ministry audit occur
Provides Administrative and Business Support
- Contract Routing Designate Responsibilities for all Dean of Students service areas.
- Arranges meetings as requested
- Reviews and process payment on team Bell Mobility bills on a monthly basis
- Produces internal and external correspondence and statistical reports as requested
- Helps to support with eSAF, contracts and onboarding new employees (keycards, access, contracts, orientation, module compliance tracking, etc)
- Create, maintain employee contact list
- Back up support for data record system (contacting IT, external provider, and/or other services when data system is not functioning; notifying appropriate users of issues)
- Updates and maintains organizational charts for each of the departments
- Assists with the Dean of Students teams website updates and maintenance and disseminates related information to the teams at all campuses to ensure business processes and standards are followed. Ensures all information on the Mohawk College website is up-to-date and reflective of current technologies, including assisting with some changes to the design and layout of the webpage as requested by the administration team
- Recommends and implements new improvements for the system and/ or services
- Coordinates operational events such as departmental PD and all-staff meetings and events
- Ordering supplies for Dean of Students department, and service area as requested including on Banner and Eway
- Provide oversight for requests such as parking vouchers, room/event space booking, event planning, catering requests, print and marketing jobs, swag ordering/inventory, and facilities work orders
- Supports requests for information from college areas (Blue Box reporting, IT Asset Inventory, etc)
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- A three year Post-secondary education in fields such as Business Administration/Accounting, or related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a related role
- Proven ability to initiate work and work independently.
- Excellent abilities to prioritize work and multi-task in a dynamic, multi-program environment, requiring flexibility.
- Proven ability to work with confidential material and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy; incumbent will engage with various students, parents/guardians, faculty, support staff and college administrators.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and decision-making skills.
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting practices required including office administration.
- A full understanding of budget, payroll, delegation, multitask ability and maintaining confidentiality are required.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/