Field Operations Lead
City : Smithers, British Columbia, CA
Category : Galore Creek
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Closing Date: March 1, 2024
Galore Creek Mining Corporation is seeking a Field Operations Lead to support field operations at the Galore Creek Project in northwest British Columbia. Reporting to the Field Operations Supervisor, this role is primarily responsible for supervising mobile equipment operators, camp infrastructure and equipment maintenance personnel, and general laborers, while supporting other field operations tasks related to the safe and efficient day-to-day operations in accordance with GCMC policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
Field operations activities under the lead’s responsibility will primarily be conducted at two remote camps. These responsibilities may include road and bridge maintenance, mobile equipment and infrastructure maintenance, and supporting environmental and technical project studies.
Located in the territory of the Tahltan Nation in northwestern British Columbia, Galore Creek is one of the world’s largest undeveloped copper-gold-silver deposits. Galore Creek Mining Corporation (GCMC), a partnership between Newmont Corporation (Newmont) and Teck Resources Limited (Teck), is committed to advancing the asset towards a development decision with meaningful input from the Tahltan Nation and BC regulators. GCMC highly values its long-standing relationship with the Tahltan Nation, and continues to implement the 2006 Participation Agreement, including involving the Tahltan Nation in regulatory processes and review of environmental performance, and providing preferential contracting and employment opportunities. Working closely with the Tahltan Nation and local communities, we strive for excellence in all our activities, with continuous improvement and responsible practices that contribute to sustainable development.
This position will be based at the Galore Creek project site on a 15 on / 13 off rotational basis inclusive of travel. This rotation is subject to change as the project requires.
More information on the Project is available at www.gcmc.ca.
- Be a courageous safety leader, leading by example and fostering a proactive safety and sustainability culture on the common values of health, safety, environment and social responsibility shared by Teck and Newmont (the Partners).
- Assist Field Operations Supervisor in planning and executing site sustaining activitiesTrack, document and report on progress of activities.
- Lead daily Field Level Risk Assessments, report all safety incidents and near hits to onsite Health and Safety Staff.
- Provide direction for safe and effective maintenance of mobile and support equipment.
- Ensure that all field operations and project personnel and contractors adhere to site standard operating procedures and conform to all permits and regulations.
- Supervise heavy equipment operationsincluding monitoring, inspection and directing:
- Earthworks (bulk, trail construction, road upgrade, remediation)
- road maintenance
- culvert and bridge maintenance
- Bulk Fuel farm maintenance
- Mobile equipment support of environmental, camp and technical studies including drilling, field surveys and engineering
- Mechanical maintenance and repairs
- Participate in project management meetings and lead daily tool box meetings.
- Provide mentorship and leadership for equipment operators and labour crews.
- Where required, directly supervise contractors.
- Supervise labour crews as required.
- Identify and correct unsafe work or actions.
- Participate in GCMC Health and Safety program (Including SOP and JSA development, tailgate safety meetings and audits).
Reporting / Inspection:
- Daily and weekly reporting of site activities.
- Carry out required inspections for camp, mobile equipment, road and bridges.
- Record status and maintenance records of assets.
- Assist in year-end reporting.
The above accountabilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- 5+ years of operational experience of increasing responsibility, preferably in mining, construction, and/or forestry
- Experience directing and supervising mobile equipment.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, bulldozers, rock trucks, loaders, and graders to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials during construction in a skilled safe and efficient manner would be an asset
- Load/unload cargo using safe rigging practices and machinery
- Must hold or be capable of obtaining a Mines Supervisory Certificate.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of software
- Experience working with tablets for asset management and data collection an asset
- Hold a valid non-restricted Class 5 driver’s license.
- Ability to work in remote terrain, uneven surfaces, and all-weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
Pay Range (annualized salary): $100,000 - $125,000
Pay Range (day rate equivalent): $650 - $800
HOW TO APPLY
At Galore Creek, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Galore Creek respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Learn more about Galore Creek at www.gcmc.ca