Family Support Worker – Part-Time
City : Hamilton, ON
Category : PT - Part Time,Family Centre
Industry : Social Assistance
Employer : Good Shepherd
FAMILY SUPPORT WORKER
Good Shepherd is seeking to fill multiple positions with varying schedules for our growing needs. If you are looking for a career working with amazing people while helping you community thrive, then this opportunity is for you and we want to hear from you. We urge individuals that have retired, semi-retired, are returning to the workforce, those that are new to Canada and recent graduates to also apply. At Good Shepherd, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive equal and authentic workplace.
Who We Are
The work of Good Shepherd is based on a fundamental belief in providing hope and restoring dignity to the most vulnerable members of our community. Our services include emergency food and clothing; daily hot meals; emergency shelters for men, youth, families, women and children; transitional housing and education for homeless and street-involved youth; hospice palliative care; community mental health programs; and supportive housing programs. This opportunity is with our Good Shepherd - Part-Time Family Support Worker, Family Centre.
Culture and Values
We see the good in people, not only the challenge. We hear the warmth in their voices. We recognize that we all have potential and promise. Our programs help to tear down the barriers that have impeded our community's most vulnerable citizens and help them to establish a path to a stable and healthy life.
At Good Shepherd, we recognize the inherent value of people living with addiction and their right to quality care and services. Good Shepherd is committed to integrating Harm Reduction practices into our programs and to prioritizing the rights, dignity, and choices of those who use substances. By integrating a Harm Reduction framework at Good Shepherd, we can decrease barriers to service and better support some of our community's most marginalized members.
Hospitality, as inspired by St. John of God is at the heart of Good Shepherd's mission. This means that we welcome all people with compassion, acceptance and a spirit of generosity; creating opportunities for transformation. Hospitality embodies our Values, Responsibility, Availability, Adaptability, Quality and Dignity.
How You Will Make an Impact
- Provide primary support to families residing in the emergency shelter
- Assessment, intake, housing-based case management, crisis prevention and intervention, supportive counselling, education, advocacy, accompanying residents on apartment viewings, facilitating long term housing success, and linkages with other community services
- Maintain safety and security of the shelter facility including hourly facility checks, answering phones and doors, and apartment inspections
- Residential tasks including unit turnovers, unit cleaning, cleaning of common spaces, preparing coffee and breakfast, and house laundry
- Responsible for participating in Good Shepherd's Health and Safety programs, procedures, procedures and work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations to minimize risk to clients, staff and others as well as to the property of the Good Shepherd
What You'll Bring to Our Team
- Be knowledgeable of and have experience working with a range of issues impacting families including homelessness, violence against women and children, immigration, poverty, mental illness and substance use
- Candidates will understand and be comfortable working from a client-centered, housing first perspective
- Experience working in a residential setting is preferred
- Post-secondary education in social services or related field is required
- Fluency in a 2nd language is an asset
- CPR certification or willingness to be certified is required
- Valid G license required
- Ability to pick up additional shifts
- Hours and days of work may change to accommodate program needs.
- Committed to anti-racist/anti-oppressive practice and to the mission and values of Good Shepherd
- Demonstrated understanding of workplace health and safety practices and understanding of an employee's responsibility under current legislation
Hours: a mix of 7am-3pm, 8am-4pm, 3pm-11pm, 4pm-12am, 11pm-7am and 12am-8am
Part time staff are required to work a rotation of the above shifts and work 3 weekends per month
What We Offer
- Be a part of a caring TEAM THAT SUPPORTS OUR LOCAL COMMUNITY
- Support for continuing EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Staff recognition programs along with access to self-care supports and EMPLOYEE / FAMILY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP)
- POSITIVE and ENCOURAGING atmosphere
- Make a difference and provide HOPE
Good Shepherd, a ministry of the Hospitaller Order of St. John of God, is an equal opportunity employer operating within an anti-racist and anti-oppression framework. We strive to establish workplaces that reflect and are enhanced by the rich diversity of the community we serve.
Good Shepherd welcomes and encourages applications from all people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you need accommodations, please contact Human Resources at 905-528-5877.
Good Shepherd has a mandatory verification of COVID-19 vaccination policy. More information on the full policy requirements and accommodation allowances will be provided to those selected for an interview.