Expatriate Tax Consultant, Global Talent Mobility
City : VANCOUVER
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Expatriate Tax Consultant, Global Talent Mobility - ( 220000QN )
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. The Stantec community unites more than 25,000 employees working in over 400 locations across 6 continents. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our FSTs are vital to making our Company stronger.
We are currently seeking an Expatriate Tax Consultant, Global Talent Mobility to join our team. This position focuses on international tax activities for Stantec employees working outside their home country and will be responsible for the coordination of assignment and relocation tax and payroll coordination for assignments and permanent relocations in North America and Globally.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide consultative support prior to and during international assignments & transfers, as well as during repatriation/localization including assignment cost analysis, expatriate orientations, vendor coordination, preparation of assignment balance sheets.
- Provide tax advice on proposed assignments and remote working arrangements, and work with the business to find pragmatic solutions.
- Track the international movement of employees and facilitate tax compliance.
- Accountable for managing an Expatriate Tax Service provider worldwide to ensure they provide an amazing end to end employee experience and service delivery for Stantec assignees.
- Ensure Hypothetical tax withholding is implemented for employees on long term assignment and cancelled when they are back in their home countries.
- Manages the Tax Re-Allocation Process for employees on assignment in North America.
- Discuss with expatriates Tax Equalization Calculations with the support of tax vendor, and ensure they are paid on time.
- Coordinate Shadow Payroll for certain employees on assignments.
- Partner with Expatriate Tax Vendor and Stantec to help design a cost-effective tax strategy to effectively manage the tax cost of any international or domestic assignment.
- Create, plan, manage and coordinate with a global payroll network an integration to allow them to share time-card information and payroll data for global reporting and compliance.
- Partner with global Finance & Accounting teams to set up accurate budgets and cost accruals for international assignments and to ensure that assignment costs are accurately cross charged to the right entities.
- Influence and educate business travelers to ensure they understand tax implications and requirements of extended business trips or international assignments.
- Work with employees to ensure they remain compliant and be able to explain the tax implications of international travel.
- Review and approve tax equalizations settlement calculations of expatriate employees.
- Manage and coordinate the day-to-day operations and activities of the Expatriate Tax partner globally to ensure cost effectiveness and optimal service levels to Stantec.
- Lead Expatriate Tax Projects in collaboration with relocation and tax vendors, global payroll and corporate tax functions.
- Partner with payroll departments across the globe to share knowledge and ensure payroll reporting requirements for expatriates or business travelers working abroad are met.
- Act as a single point of contact for any tax questions from global business travelers.
- Act as the point of escalation for any service-related issues with Stantec’s Expatriate Tax partner.
- Advise of tax requirements with experience spotting issues and providing solutions to remedy or enhance employee experience.
- Support the development and continuous improvement of the Global Mobility program by building strong relationships and collaboration with internal stakeholders to develop, govern and maintain Global Mobility policies.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize work and exercise initiative to ensure an efficient and quality level of service.
- Experience with experience in Canada and U.S. tax system and international tax, cross-border payroll issues.
- Experience with year-end tax reconciliations, tax equalization and the end-to-end compensation accumulation process.
- Familiarity with foreign tax compliance, and the tax equalization process.
- Flexibility with an ability to work in a busy and dynamic team environment.
- Proven ability to apply attention to detail, research, and gain knowledge quickly.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and communication skills.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential material.
- Ability to proactively resolve issues and improve processes.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Suite including Visio, HRIS software.
- Able to deal with ambiguity and reprioritize tasks in response to unexpected changes in priorities/requests and effectively manage change in fast paced environment.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business or accounting or equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of expatriate taxation experience.
- Accounting designation preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Other Locations : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Job : Global Mobility
Organization : BC-1197 Human Resources-Talent Services-Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 1, 2022, 9:27:04 AM
Req ID: 220000QN
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans