Executive Legal Assistant
City : Dartmouth
Category : Legal, Compliance & Audit
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
Executive Legal Assistant
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking an Executive Legal Assistant.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact email@example.com.
· Education: Successful completion of a post-secondary college or university program with specialization in a law-related field OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
· Experience: Minimum 10 years’ experience in a paralegal role supporting legal executives, senior legal counsel, or in-house legal departments engaged in complex commercial transactions, construction, or litigation.
· Strong proficiency with Microsoft 365 Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, Planner, etc.) with a strong aptitude for learning new software and programs quickly.
· Excellent analytical and communication skills, both written and oral, with strong attention to detail.
· Ability to multi-task, prioritize work, and complete tasks under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work both independently and as a member of a high-performing team.
· Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and manage privileged, confidential, and commercially sensitive communications and documentation.
· Ability to work with minimal supervision, take initiative, and be a self-starter.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
· Ensure that Supply Chain has identified all the relevant information necessary for legal review, triaging requests according to the complexity, urgency, and risk and engaging legal counsel as appropriate.
· Prepare the initial drafts of contracts, schedules, amendments, and other contractual documents for review by legal counsel.
· Engage directly with Supply Chain to attain a full understanding of all near- and mid-term priorities and monitor capacity of legal resources to identify potential gaps in service levels.
· Provide timely and appropriate non-legal advice respecting contract lifecycle management, internal approval requirements, and approaches to risk management, while engaging legal counsel in the Legal Department when appropriate.
· Coordinating with General Counsel and other key members of the Legal Department, assist in the implementation and use of the ProcPack contracting model across the ISI organization.
· Provide executive administrative support to the General Counsel, including correspondence, email, and calendar management, a detailed bring-forward system, and legal database management.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
· A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
· Employee & Family Assistance Programs
· RRSP matching program
· Health & Wellness reimbursements
· Opportunities to take part in job related training and development.
· Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
· Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.