Executive Director, Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression
City : Surrey, BC
Category : 2551-Office of VP, Equity & Incl Comm
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
This role reports to the Vice President, Equity and Inclusive Communities. Reporting directly to this position will be the Advisor, Anti-Racism & Anti-oppression, as well as forthcoming departmental staff to support anti-racism and anti-oppression work across KPU.
The Executive Director, Anti-Racism and Anti-oppression is responsible for leadership, innovation, partnerships, and strategic planning as it relates to Anti-Racism and Anti-oppression at KPU. This role builds infrastructure and develops its capacities to address racism and discrimination., while also attending to foundational concepts of misogynoir, intersectionality, privilege, power, microaggression, macroaggressions bias. It coordinates all anti-racism and anti-oppression work at KPU offering support and consultation services to senior leadership, committees, and departments, and provides guidance on all strategic planning processes and institution-wide initiatives.
This role serves as a visionary to inspire diverse groups to unite and be anti-racist via increased awareness and understanding of how racism, anti-oppression and discrimination operate as systemic barriers impacting individuals at KPU and communities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Master’s degree, preferably in Sociology; Cultural Studies, Critical Race Theory, Anti-oppression and/or Intersectional Social Justice and/or related fields. Doctorate preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years related leadership experience, preferably in a public sector environment;
- Preferred 5 years of related experience in Diversity and Inclusion, Anti-Racism, preferably in a post-secondary or public sector environment;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of overlapping layers of racism and anti-oppression, principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion, intersectionality, decolonization, Indigeneity, lived experiences of racialized peoples, and practices.
- Experience in leading and implementing change, including developing new strategies, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated managerial and collegial leadership with the ability to serve as a representative and advocate for institutional resources that support anti-racism and anti-oppression initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience with leading and implementing institutional change initiatives
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels and successfully lead and manage change in a multi-union, complex environment.
- Knowledge of key partner organizations in this field.
- Understanding of the Canadian education system and academic policies and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to present and converse with senior leaders within all levels of governments and agencies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to persuade and influence individuals and groups with diverse needs and interests.
- Knowledge of budget planning, development and management.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally on occasion.
- Ability to travel between campuses required.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
WHY JOIN KPU?
- Recognized as one of B.C.'s Top Employers
- KPU is committed to actively fostering an equitable and inclusive working environment
- Competitive compensation
- Hybrid environment, flexible work around core hours
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan - College
- Extended Medical, Dental, Healthcare Spending Account, Sick Leave, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Optional Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Emergency Travel Assistance, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Teledoc
- Professional Development Days: up to 10 days paid per year
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Generous vacation package
- Campus work environment, cafeteria, outdoor sitting areas and nearby walking trails
- Campus athletic and fitness centers with a variety of instructor-led classes
- Tuition waiver program – eligible to waive tuition costs of courses at KPU equivalent to 3 credits per semester
- Inhouse training and development
- Networking and social events such as KPU Day, Holiday Social etc.
- Intercampus shuttle
- Access to automotive, horticulture, brewery and other programs’ services
- Clubs: Jeopardy, Toastmasters, E-sports, Ted Talks etc.
- Library and Bookstore (discounts)
**Some slight differences for temporary roles
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.