Event Finance & Business Support Specialist (Conference Centre) – hybrid
City : Toronto
Category : Permanent fulltime
Industry : Printing & Publishing
Employer : The Globe and Mail
The Globe and Mail is a national icon and Canada’s most recognized media brand.
We’re also an international award winner for data visualization, design, and creative storytelling. A digital innovator with a global client list for our in-house AI-powered optimization, prediction and automation platform. And a place where Canadians come for the best journalism in the country.
We aim to reflect Canada in the stories we tell and in our workforce. The Globe is a proud partner of Pride At Work, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. We understand our staff have lives outside of the office and offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also provide training and mentorships to staff to ensure you’re able to grow and challenge yourself and your abilities.
No matter what your role at The Globe, you’ll be part of an organization dedicated to making a difference to Canada.
The Event Finance & Business Support Specialist is responsible for managing the administrative and financial functions of the Conference Centre as they relate to systems, processes, and facilities management. They are responsible to ensure the venue remains safe and compliant with the companies and buildings policies, as well as government legislation, and governing agencies.
- Manage the administration of the Department’s software and databases to increase the accuracy of data, automate processes, and troubleshoot issues.
- Manage event administration including contracting, billing, reconciliation, working with clients, vendors and suppliers, processing payments and ensuring all is in compliance with legal, insurance, health and safety and other contractual obligations.
- Support the financial health of the Conference Centre through revenue and cost analysis, financial reporting, and monitoring of expenditures.
- Work closely with the Finance Department, and auditors as required, to provide information, clarify business operations, and adapt processes as needed to allow for ease in workflow.
- Provide reporting to senior management to aid in decision making and strategic planning.
- Review and assess data to identify trends, potential issues, and opportunities.
- Design and build customized reports and dashboards enabling internal customers to make data driven decisions.
- Understand and document key business processes. Identify control and efficiency weaknesses in existing processes and recommend improvements. Assist in the implementation of controls and monitor post implementation.
- Monthly/Quarterly reporting (i.e. Socan/Resound, etc.)
- Provide day-to-day troubleshooting for end users and support ongoing maintenance of the tool (e.g. setting up new users, maintaining/updating resource line items, etc.)
- Develop effective training and user guides. Provide hands-on training to end users.
- Design processes and tools to allow data to be more accessible and configurable.
- Participate and lead key process automation initiatives to simplify business processes.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years of demonstrated experience in a financial administrative role within the hospitality industry or Venue environment.
- Experience with CRM (EventPro, Delphi, etc.)
- Experience with POS and Beverage Inventory Management Systems
- Exceptional data management skills with a strong analytical mindset
- Highly collaborative and able to build effective cross-functional relationships across all departments.
- Strong problem-solving skills and innovative approaches for resolution.
- Strong communication (verbal and written).
- Knowledge of operating procedures, controls and governances.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- The ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Excellent time management and attention to detail.
- High degree of initiative and ability to work effectively in teams or independently.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, adjust and respond professionally to changing priorities and ad hoc issues.
- Result oriented and hands on approach.
- Eagerness to learn new tools, topics and explore opportunities to improve efficiencies and capabilities.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite; experience with CRM.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals and multiple priorities.
WHY CHOOSE THE GLOBE:
The Globe’s mission is to deliver essential content – news, information, analysis and insights – for aspiring individuals and strong communities. The Globe is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive workplace that upholds our values of integrity, collaboration, innovation and accountability.
As Canada’s most respected media brand The Globe is dedicated to making a difference to Canada and you can make a difference by working with us.
- Competitive compensation to ensure we hire, retain and reward team members
- Hybrid work environment that promotes work-life balance
- Generous vacation and flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave top-up
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Home office reimbursement program
- Annual wellness subsidy
- On-site chiropractor and registered massage therapist
- Employee and family assistance program
- Free digital subscription to globeandmail.com and 40% off other Globe products
- Education assistance for external training courses
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH:
- We are committed to creating equitable opportunities for all employees, to enable everyone to reach their full potential. This commitment is embedded in our strategic plan and core values.
- There are lateral and upward advancement opportunities for rewarding and developing careers.
- We believe in mentorship and collaborative peer-to-peer learning and have both formal and informal programs in place to encourage knowledge-sharing.
- We support continuing education and provide both internal and external opportunities for training and development.
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.