Environmental Services Biophysical Student / Junior Field Technician (Summer 2024)
City : Terrace
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Environmental Services Biophysical Student / Junior Field Technician (Summer 2024) - ( 2400006L )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
An opportunity exists for a talented and ambitious Junior Field Technician/Scientist to work alongside specialist on our Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecology teams. We have offices across BC and Yukon (Burnaby, Sidney, Kelowna, Prince George, Quesnel, Terrace and Whitehorse), with project work throughout Western Canada and beyond. In this role, you will be assisting with planning, data collection & analysis, and technical reporting for a variety of field programs. Work will be mainly in the field for spring and summer season but may involve a variety of tasks depending on project requirements. This role begins as a field season term; starting in April/May through to the fall, however, depending on work volumes and performance there is a possibility to extend to full-time permanency. Benefits and full-time potential will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.
Your Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Able to work in a collaborative team environment and under deadlines in remote wilderness and outdoor settings.
- Prioritize safety in all tasks.
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills.
- Well-developed computer skills such as Microsoft Office, Excel, and Word.
- Willingness to be away from home, staying in hotels or camps, working 12-hour days (including evenings and weekends) under a variety of conditions for 14 days at a time or longer.
- Able to lift 50lbs and endure long days of physically and mentally challenging field work while maintaining a positive, solutions-focused attitude.
- Excellent navigational skills and ability to troubleshoot equipment and solve problems in the field.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience conducting field surveys with wildlife, freshwater or marine fish, and/or vegetation identification skills, sampling techniques (soil, water, sediment).
- Safety training certificates relevant to field work (standard first aid, electrofishing, auxiliary vehicles, driver’s license, boating, etc.) are an asset.
- Knowledge of Indigenous cultural, historical, and political context in Canada is an asset.
- Familiarity with relevant provincial and federal regulations and guidelines.
Education and Experience
Diploma or degree (in progress or completed) in biology or conservation, environmental biology/technology, renewable resources or ecology, Indigenous studies, anthropology, sociology, socio-economics, geography, archaeology and/or environmental sciences.
Please include detailed information on field-based skills and valid health and safety training. If you are a student, please clearly state what year of study you're in and desired term length.
Typical office environment includes working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Applicant must have a reliable internet for circumstances requiring home-based work. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $18.94 Per Hour - $25.99 Per Hour Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Quesnel, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney, Canada-British Columbia-Terrace, Canada-British Columbia-Kamloops, Canada-British Columbia-Prince George
Organization : BC-1232 EnvSvcs-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 16, 2024, 3:49:51 PM
Req ID: 2400006L
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans