Environmental Performance Co-op Student
City : Sparwood, British Columbia, CA
Category : Students & Graduates
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Start Date: January 2024
Duration: 8 – 12 months
Location: Multiple Teck Coal Operations - Elk Valley, BC
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023
Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op placement?
Teck hires more than 200 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations. Teck has been named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada’s Top Employers program for the past six years, and was included in the Forbes World’s Best Employers 2021 and 2022 list and Canada's Top Employer for Young People 2022 and 2023. Teck is also ranked #1 in the Minerals and Mining Industry on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for 12 consecutive years, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies.
Teck Coal Limited is the world’s second largest seabourne exporter of steelmaking coal. We have 4 mining operations located in the Elk Valley region in the beautiful Southeastern Rockies, BC. Our product is an essential ingredient to make steel which is used for building infrastructure as well as for clean energy projects like wind and solar power, to transportation alternatives like rapid transit and buses. Check out this link to learn more: Teck Coal Limited
Innovate with Teck
Digital technologies are redefining our industry and contributing to improvements in every step of the mining process. We improve our efficiency, safety, sustainability and growth by putting smarter ideas to work and crafting advancements in our technology and our practice. At Teck, we embrace new ideas, and employ them. Teck fosters a culture where employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward and implement technologies that can help make us a better company.
Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd:
- Our values guide every decision we make as a company and as individual employees. Teck is led by our values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence, and courage
- The opportunity to work on exciting projects alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields, you will experience a combination of projects in the field as well as in the office
- Competitive salary for our co-ops as well as assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- Make an impression! Successful co-ops with Teck are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
- Working towards an Undergraduate degree in Environmental Science or an Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Management, Commerce or Risk Management with a passion for the environmental field
- Motivated self-starters with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working in a dynamic work environment with a willingness to work outdoors and able to operate vehicles at our operations, in various weather conditions and terrain
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with a capability to communicate complex ideas to all levels and partners
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Previous experience with Power BI is an asset
- Participate in the health and safety programs of Teck to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy every day.
- Update and manage environmental data and reporting in our Environmental Data Management System (EMS)
- Support team with the development of an assurance program and implement best management practice.
- Support team with the development of internal self-assessments, verification and audit processes
- Performing coordination, analysis, and reporting of the Environment Risk Register and Environment Aspects List updates across the Coal business unit
- Support with the development of, coordination of, performance of, and reporting on environmental assurance activities including effectiveness reviews for environmental critical controls, compliance improvement plans, and continuous improvement plans against the material risk management program, HSEC Standards, and environmental permit requirements
- Summarizing environmental inspections and outcomes into appropriate databases to track, report, and verify compliance as well as provide support to improvement projects
- Conduct site inspections, perform gap assessments and share best practices
- Create and evaluate innovative ideas and technologies to help improve the way we do business
- These are office based roles with little field work
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work. Proof of a valid work permit will also be required, if applicable.
At Teck, we have a variety of flexible schedules that can offer you a work life balance. Teck also offers the chance to live and work in some of the world’s most amazing locations where year-round local attractions and recreational choices are unlimited for the outdoor enthusiast! We have world-class mountain biking, skiing, hiking and fly fishing all at your doorstep.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this exciting student work term opportunity, please include your resume and unofficial transcripts as part of your online application.
Recruitment is ongoing and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.