ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST TECHNICIAN 1 (t, ON, CA, m)
City : Toronto
Category : Engineering & Technical
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
- Job ID: 38812
- Job Category: Engineering & Technical
- Division & Section: Toronto Water, TW Customer & Technical Support
- Work Location: 545 Commissioners Street
- Job Type & Duration: Full-Time, 1 Permanent, 1 Temporary (12 months) vacancy
- Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $40.62 - $44.48, TF0318, WG 12
- Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week,
- Affiliation: L79
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 18-Sep-2023 to 02-Oct-2023
Reporting to the Supervisor and working in a team environment, the Engineering Technologist Technician 1 provides work direction to Inspectors Municipal Construction.
- Administers, prepares, coordinates and reviews requirements, engineering designs, drawings, reports, specifications and any documentation related to Toronto Water projects, and Operations and Maintenance activities.
- Prepares tenders, quotations and administers contracts for the installation, construction, rehabilitation, and maintenance of infrastructure to ensure contracts are carried out in accordance with City standards, specifications and procedures.
- Assists with the preparation of budget and tracking of expenditures and verifies activities for payment.
- Conducts field investigations, evaluates asset condition for a variety of planned proposals, programs, and projects pertaining to water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Reviews research, conducts studies and/or calculations and analyzes technical data.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports.
- Assists or carries out technical work for the planning, tendering, construction and inspection of municipal infrastructure.
- Coordinates, reviews and prepares engineering design drawings and reports for existing and proposed sewers, watermains, watercourses, stormwater facilities and other municipal infrastructure, using various software applications.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders, i.e. other Divisions, Utility companies, developers, public, contractors, consultants, architects etc. pertaining to water and wastewater infrastructure issues.
- Performs and/or reviews research and calculations and analyzes technical data.
- Investigates and responds to inquiries from the public, surveyors, consultants, contractors & internal customers related to construction and maintenance activities, on by-law interpretation, location of property lines, encroachments, digital CADD and processes.
- Prepares, reads and interprets technical drawings.
- Collects, maintains and analyzes data and prepares reports making recommendations based upon applicable by-laws and City policies.
- Programs, operates and maintains a variety of mechanical, digital, analogue, wireless, computerized and other equipment and systems in performing surveys, drafting, calculations, diagnostics, repairs, studies, data collection, etc.
- Checks and provides progress/inspection reports on the work of contractors and developers to ensure use of safety equipment, adherence to approved designs, procedures, regulations, statutes, specifications, etc.
- Prepares correspondence and technical reports pertaining to issues relevant to Toronto Water.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate in a Civil Engineering Technologist Program from a recognized College or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in Civil Engineering with practical experience in the municipal water distribution, wastewater collection and stormwater management activities and systems.
- Experience in the operation of CADD (e.g. Microstation) and GIS (e.g. ArcView).
- Must possess a Class "G" or better Driver's License valid in the province of Ontario and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a City of Toronto driver's permit and have a personal vehicle.
You must also have:
- Must provide customer service to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Access, and Visio), geospatial data and mapping applications and mainframe systems such as, but not limited to: Hansen, SAP, ArcGIS and GIS viewer.
- Knowledge and understanding of Municipal Civil Engineering principles, practices and construction methods related to hydrology, hydraulics, storm water management, water efficiency/conservation; and the collection of infrastructure condition rating data such as CCTV, flow monitoring, trunk collection system, pump testing.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and documents, e.g. plans and profiles, surveys, Specifications, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding with all relevant regulations, statutes, standards and practices (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act, OPSS, OPSD, TAC, MOE).
- Ability to perform manual and computerized mathematical calculations used in engineering analysis.
- Knowledge of procurement and other purchasing procedures, such as, tendering and administration of construction contracts, request for proposals etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with consultants, contractors, colleagues and other City employees at all levels and members of the public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Advanced problem-solving, project coordination skills and the ability to exercise independent judgement in dealing with technical matters.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide work direction to other staff.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement processes and practices.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions inclusiveness, equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Engineering, Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
- Lean-Six Sigma and/or project management certification.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.