Engineering Summer Student – Community Development (Summer 2023)
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Engineering Summer Student - Community Development (Summer 2023) - ( 230000N3 )
At Stantec we are committed to our local communities. Designing with community in mind means we understand the unique needs of our clients and our communities and we develop creative ways to meet their needs. We bring together the places that make communities feel like home - whether it is an urban park, a commercial plaza, or a residential neighborhood. We do this because we are part of the community too and we care about the places where we live—just as much as you do.
Our Edmonton office has an opportunity for an Engineering Student within our Community Development Group. Our Community Development group provides services within the City of Edmonton and surrounding region. We work on a wide variety of private sector projects that include residential, industrial, and commercial developments.
This posting is for one (1) Engineering Student position for a duration of four (4) months, that will commence in May 2023.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide general engineering support to the Community Development’s project management team.
- Contribute with other land development engineers (EITs) and technologists from our design and field teams on the design and delivery of land development project for our clients.
- Assist the project management team on a variety of projects with work that could include the following tasks: assisting with quantity take-offs and production of tender documents for site grading and site servicing including water distribution, sanitary sewers, storm water management and roadways.
- Assist with preparing earthwork calculations using Civil 3D software.
- Prepare drawings and figures as required using AutoCad software to support the team.
- Communicate with team members from our planning and landscape architecture groups.
- Contribute to project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, clients, and other various project stakeholders, as required.
- Willingness to work in a challenging and fast paced work environment.
- Support field activities such as surveying, acting as an on-site observer for construction projects, and establishing constructed quantities.
- Other supportive responsibilities.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The candidate will be highly motivated, willing to work in both an individual and team-oriented environment, and ready to participate in a wide variety of projects.
- Previous field employment experience is an asset, but not necessarily a requirement.
- Strong organizational skills and understanding how to prioritize.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience of construction projects.
- Creative problem solving and analytical skills.
- Must work well in a team environment and have a collaborative approach.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, and BlueBeam.
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD Civil 3D is an asset.
- A valid driver’s license is an asset.
Education And Experience
This opportunity is specifically for post-secondary student enrolled in an Engineering program and has completed their third year of study.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field visits may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1161 CommDev-CA Alberta North
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 9, 2023, 8:47:55 AM
Req ID: 230000N3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans