Engineer In Training – Process Automation
City : Edmonton Refinery
Category : See posting
Industry : Energy and Petroleum
Employer : Suncor
Joining Suncor means you will work for one of the best companies in Canada, providing tremendous future potential where talented people thrive and lead. As our business evolves, so do our employment opportunities. Our work culture includes a dynamic mix of professionals, with a diversity of skills and expertise.Are you looking for an exciting new challenge that will allow you to use your technical expertise?
In this role, you will support critical operations and maintenance in daily execution of troubleshooting and delivery of the production plan at our Suncor Edmonton Refinery.
- A graduate of Master’s or PhD in Computer Process Control - Chemical Engineering, or equivalent.
- A high level of motivation and are a self-starter who can work well within a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and both written and verbal communication skills, work well in a refinery environment with operation crews.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong data analytical capability, including strong computer skills.
- The ability and desire to increase technical knowledge and work in a fast-paced environment.
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Provide effective day-to-day supports to Suncor Edmonton Refinery operation areas, including basic layer controllers, advanced process controls, advanced process optimizers, graphics, soft sensors, and process alarm management improvements. Provide effective supports to blending and product shipments.
- Support control historian system and the refinery-wide operation dashboard and information hub
- Participate as a team member for the completion of process hazard reviews related to controls in your assigned unit areas.
- Work closely with operations teams to identify opportunities and to implement new advanced process controls and optimizers.
- Support advanced process analyzers applications, develop/update/maintain models for near infrared analyzers and nuclear magnetic resonant analyzers, including quality control charts and monitoring.
- Assist the senior process control engineers in developing site-wide real time optimization implementation through advanced control and optimization strategies.
- Apply advanced data analytics in refinery process controls.
Location and other key details:
- You will work out of our Edmonton refinery in Sherwood Park, located at 801 Petroleum Way
- You will 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Suncor's operations include oil sands development, production and upgrading; offshore oil and gas; petroleum refining in Canada and the U.S.; and the company's Petro-Canada retail and wholesale distribution networks (including Canada's Electric Highway™, a coast-to-coast network of fast-charging electric vehicle stations). Suncor is developing petroleum resources while advancing the transition to a low-emissions future through investment in power, renewable fuels and hydrogen.
With a strong strategy for growth and our long-standing approach to sustainability, operational excellence, capital discipline and technology and innovation, Suncor offers a solid foundation for you to continue building your career. We offer rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions – all of which means tremendous potential for your future. We are focused on deepening our commitment to inclusion and diversity and creating a respectful workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We have numerous employee inclusion networks to help foster an inclusive and respectful culture and drive positive change within Suncor. Current networks include both workplace inclusion networks (focusing on inclusion and respect for all), and identity-focused networks (focusing on building community and a sense of belonging and allyship). Through the Journey of Reconciliation, we are progressing the way we think and act to build greater mutual trust and respect with the Indigenous Peoples in Canada. Please note we will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.