Email & Server Systems Administrator
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: J
Rate of Pay: $38.28
Posting Date: February 10th, 2022
Closing Date: March 3rd, 2022 at 7:00pm EST
Please be advised that according to Support Staff Collective Agreement Article 17.1, Internal Full Time Support Staff will be given first consideration for five (5) days from the date of this posting. Preference will be given to qualified regular Full Time employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
The incumbent is a member of a team of Server Specialists, which has the mandate of providing the highest level of technical support for college faculty and staff in their use of our information technology for teaching and business purposes. The team is responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of our server and storage systems, used by our computer teaching laboratories, and administrative computer stations.
The incumbent possesses the necessary skills needed to install/configure/secure and maintain college Windows and Enterprise Linux servers, enterprise storage systems, backup and disaster recovery platforms, business applications, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange E-mail, Microsoft 365, Apache Tomcat, and VMware vSphere virtualization. The incumbent will collaborate with the team of database administrators to provide comprehensive operational and developmental support for the database systems that backend enterprise systems. Incumbent must also analyze departmental needs and remain up-to-date with current technologies and trends. The position also provides 2nd level support for the Help Desk and Computer Technology Departments.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Provides enterprise server administration and support for the various college servers as it relates to hardware, operating systems and application server/services for business and academic purposes by:
- Perform daily Exchange E-mail administration and support ensuring backups, restores, and all regular / scheduled proactive and preventative maintenance activities are performed and verified.
- Provide first line and escalated administration and support for Exchange and integrated administration and support between Active Directory, end-user support escalation issues and analysis of troubleshooting requests from the Help Desk.
- Supporting and troubleshooting advanced e-mail functions associated with 3rd party solutions such as Blackberry Enterprise Server, and mobile devices.
- Maintain, support and troubleshoot Active Directory
- 250,000 Users Objects with attached mailboxes
- 4,000 Computer Objects
- Group Policies, login scripts, mapped network drives, etc.
- Maintain, support and troubleshoot VMware hyper-converged virtualization infrastructure on VxRail.
- 20 hosts, 24 VxRail nodes, 600 virtual Servers, 18 networks, 21 datastores
- Virtualization of old servers
- Implementing and securing Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016 & 2019 and OracleLinux to provide a highly available and highly reliable server environment.
- Administering Enterprise Printing solutions through PaperCut.
- Managing DNS(Domain Name Services) and DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).
- Configuring/tuning and maintaining college system applications. Scan and analyze systems for vulnerabilities and ensure they are remediated.
- Monitoring performance and reviewing server event logs to proactively determine hardware or software issues before they occur.
- Resolving system problems such as failed hardware, operating system failures, software configuration and firewall policies.
- Performing system upgrades and patches.
- Provides level 2 support: situations, problems and requests that cannot be completed by level 1(Help Desk Technicians) are escalated to Server Group to be completed.
- Managing backups and restoring lost or corrupted data for enterprise systems and college administrative staff.
Performs account and file maintenance tasks and scripting in a Windows Active Directory Unix/Linux environment
- Account maintenance consisting of unlocking, adding, modifying, and deleting user account information. As well as password resets.
- Creating and configuring network file shares and ensuring appropriate security groups and permissions are applied.
- Maintaining the structure and organization of network users, groups and computers with the use of Active Directory and Organizational Units.
- Creation of scripts to simplify day to day repetitive tasks.
Maintain inventory and documentation of server systems associated software and dependencies
- Document the configuration of installations for servers and applications.
- Ensure server inventory is up-to-date and accurate.
Analyzing departmental needs, in relation to Informational Technology solutions
- Meets with requested department to determine the scope and priority of the request, and timeline/deadline.
- Investigates solutions and technologies available.
- Determines what resources are needed to complete the request (e.g. departments affected by request such as Computer Technology’s, Networking, and Help Desk etc. Server resources available.
Research and development of new technologies
- Through pilot projects, one-of-a-kind product testing, prototypes, formal courses, independent research, collaboration with peers at other colleges and reading of journals.
- Researching emerging leading edge software trends in preparation for eventual implementation by the college.
- Recommend to the Manager any resulting departmental policy and procedure changes.
The successful applicant must have:
- A minimum 3 year diploma / degree in Computer Science Technology or related field.
- Five years in the Information Technology field with direct experience in Microsoft and Linux operating systems, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft 365, VMware vSphere, Veeam Backup and Recovery, and Dell EMC servers and enterprise storage systems.
- Additional training or certification in:
- VMWare ESX Server Install and Configure
- Microsoft SQL Server Database Maintenance
- Dell SAN Management
- Dell SAN Data Protection
- Microsoft Installing/Managing MS Exchange
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Although many of our employees are currently working remotely, this position is governed by the applicable legislation of the Province of Ontario. Successful candidates will be required to conduct work within Ontario, must be available to work on campus as required, and will be required to follow the vaccination policy. For more information, please visit:
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at 905-575-2047.