Electro-Optics Hardware Designer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and also offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
How You Will Contribute:
As an Electro-optics Hardware Designer, you will be responsible for designing and delivering high-speed electro-optics components and the modem subsystem into Ciena’s next generation coherent optical products, a key technology and flagship product for Ciena. In this role, you’ll collaborate with firmware, PCB and DSP design teams and be exposed to a wide range of cutting-edge optical and RF technologies in a world-class R&D lab environment.
- You will design, model, test and perform integration activities for Ciena’s coherent optical modern hardware.
- You’ll perform hands-on lab measurement work with RF and optical devices and subsystems.
- You’ll develop code in Matlab for simulation, test automation, and data analysis.
- You’ll collaborate with internal and external electro-optic component suppliers to define component specifications and discuss characterization/verification of component performance against specifications.
- You will be responsible for technical documentation, including ownership of optical component/subsystem specifications and related technical documentation.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Customer First Mentality – what’s important to the customer is also important to you.
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
- Creative thinking – you’re keen to understand technology and see opportunities to compartmentalize higher level requirements into design tasks.
- Agility – you are readily able to manage competing and ever-changing account priorities and maintain a balanced and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Communication expertise – you can tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and clearly articulate designs, specifications, test results and trade-offs.
- Leadership – the ability to influence, empower and get things done by people who don’t necessarily report to you.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- A commitment to learning – you keep abreast of market, competitor and technology developments and use that information to Ciena’s advantage.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics
- Demonstrated hands-on hardware lab skills.
- Experience with programming in a language such as Matlab or Python for the purposes of simulation, test automation, and data analysis.
- Advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in the field of Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics with exposure to electro-optics or optical communications.
- Exposure to high-speed electro-optic hardware in a lab environment.
- Experience with electro-optics/RF test methods and equipment.
- Knowledge of fiber optic communications and/or DSP theory.
- Experience with statistical analysis of large datasets.
- Project management and/or technical leadership experience.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.