Electrical Technician/Technologist – Transmission & Distribution
City : WATERLOO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical Technician/Technologist – Transmission & Distribution - ( 2300040W )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
In this position as an electrical engineering technician/technologist you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers, technicians, and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
Stantec is committed to putting our people first by providing a hybrid workplace with the opportunity to work a combination of remote/in-office work based on operational requirements.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare designs for overhead and underground distribution systems in accordance with established standard.
- Ability to develop unique design solutions to fit our client’s needs with a sound understanding of overall goals, objectives, and costs to our clients.
- Ability to lead and coordinate designs with Professional Engineers for review and direction.
- Prepare and/or review construction packages, including all required drawings, work instructions, planning documentation, and regulatory approvals, where required. Ensure design compliance with all applicable codes, industry standards, Ontario utility construction standards, design guidelines and utility best practice.
- Help coordinate construction projects - liaise, consult, and communicate with key project stakeholders including contractors, customers, equipment suppliers, and other utilities.
- Support Professional Engineers with technical studies and/or calculations, software analysis, drafting and specifications; preparation of cost estimates; the creation of equipment specifications and installation standards.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated competence in computer drafting using AutoCAD. Drafting using MicroStation is considered an asset.
- Proficient working knowledge of overhead and underground distribution system design is required.
- Prepare estimates, work schedules, generate Bill of Materials (BOMs).
- Proficiency with pole modeling software SpidaCalc. PLS-CADD modelling is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of, and proficient in, the use and application of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and relevant industry standards including CSA, IEEE, IEC, ANSI and NEMA.
- Knowledge of CSA 22.3 No.1 for overhead systems and CSA C220.3 No.7 for underground systems.
- Knowledge of lighting photometric calculations and experience with photometric software Agi32 and RP-8 recommendations is considered an asset.
- Attentive to project scope, schedule, budget and delivering a high-quality product.
- Valid Class G' Driver's license in the Province of Ontario.
Education and Experience
- Technical diploma/certificate or equivalent in electrical engineering.
- Three to five years of experience designing within the local utilities in Ontario.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 3, 2023, 12:21:43 PM
Req ID: 2300040W
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans