Electrical/Protection & Control (P&C) Engineer, Hydropower
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical/Protection & Control (P&C) Engineer, Hydropower - ( 220001U7 )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you will find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
We are actively seeking a new Electrical/Protection & Control (P&C) Engineer, Hydropower to join our team in Burnaby, BC. The successful candidate is expected to work independently and under guidance of the Electrical Lead as required to provide electrical and P&C engineering services on small to large-sized domestic and international hydroelectric and dam, installation, and refurbishment projects, with the objective of meeting the defined contractual scope, schedule and budget to the relevant codes, standards and company procedures. Occasional travel to project sites or other offices is required.
Key responsibilities include:
- Strong understanding of electrical and P&C engineering aspects of hydroelectric facilities design or construction.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional engineering experience with minimum 5 years related to hydroelectric facilities including preparation of conceptual and detail designs, calculations, specifications, and review of vendor submissions involving:
- Single line diagrams for power generating plants
- Powerhouse layout, including equipment arrangement, and bus bar layouts
- Grounding, AC power, DC power system
- Cable termination drawings and cable schedules
- Power system studies including Load Flow, short circuit studies and arc flash studies.
- Protection system
- Control and automation system
- Generator circuit breakers, emergency generation systems, low voltage, and medium voltage switchgears, MCC and distribution panel boards
- Auxiliary services associated with hydroelectric generators, such as, braking and lifting systems, cooling systems, on-line monitoring systems, and instrumentation.
- Hydraulic turbines and governor systems
- Proficiency in the use of basic engineering and design tools such as ETAP, EasyPower and SKM programs is desired.
- Experience in condition assessment, troubleshooting performance issues, and commissioning of the electrical equipment described above will be considered an asset.
- Experience with manufacturing, operation or maintenance of hydropower equipment described above will be considered an asset.
- Experience in generator and excitation system design will be considered an asset
- Experience in transmission line design and HV Switchyard design will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of American, Canadian, and provincial codes and standards.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized and accredited institution.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in BC or another Canadian Province. PE registration will be considered an asset.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and timelines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively work and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external customers.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Job : Electrical Engineer
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-Canada West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 6, 2022, 10:08:27 AM
Req ID: 220001U7
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans