Electrical Engineering Technician/Technologist
City : VANCOUVER
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical Engineering Technician/Technologist - ( 230002EN )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
In this position as a Electrical Engineering Technician / Technologist, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supervising and mentoring other technologists and junior engineers
- Quantity calculations and cost estimating
- Feasibility analyses of electrical engineering design
- Organize and interpret electrical engineering data to prepare clear and concise design drawings, engineering reports and technical documentation
- Field work responsibilities may include performing project construction observation, interpret contract documents, enforce contract specifications, and review submittals for accuracy, completeness and design consistency.
- Prioritize and accomplish multiple assignments efficiently and effectively
- Ensure conformance to applicable electrical codes and standards as well as company policies and procedures
- Performs thorough quality control of construction documents and provides design ideas and solutions
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Well developed understanding of regional and local electrical and building codes
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Proficient in relevant software programs including AutoCAD Civil3D and/or MicroStation, Inroads, GIS, AutoTurn, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Competency with basic lighting design as it pertains to surveillance systems and CPTED principles
- Competency with a general understanding of building architecture, structure, process, mechanical, electrical and technology
- Competency at performing non-destructive building assessments and investigations, and with the preparation of accompanying reporting and support documentation
- Ability to drive to and attend regional, federal correctional facilities and institutions
- Familiarity and understanding of government prepared documentation in the form of policies, standards, specifications, reports and detailed site documentation from other sources, ability to understand and apply this information
- Familiarity and understanding of ‘hardened’ or ‘robust’ electrical infrastructure installations, applications and specialized equipment deployed at high-security facilities
- Familiarity and understanding of the application of anti-ligature installations in high-risk settings within a security environment
- Familiarity and understanding of the numerous building security and communication systems deployed at high-security sites and facilities, such as: RFID access control; video surveillance; infrared & audio surveillance; cell door control and monitoring; HMI operator interfacing; facility annunciation and alarming; fence disturbance and detection; in-ground motion detection; inmate cell call; inmate voice cell call; intrusion detection; limited-call intercom; paging and public address; security patrol (guard tour); digital video management; radio over IP; voice over IP subsystems.
- Familiarity and understanding of ‘light’ industrial automation design documents, i.e. PLC/PAC I/O and instrumentation loop drawings
- Rudimentary understanding of HMI screen development, and PLC ladder logic programming as it pertains to, cell door and motorized barrier control design
- Familiarity and understanding of network architecture design as it pertains to, Human-Machine Interface automation and Intranet architecture using copper/fiber data transmission methods
- Familiarity and understanding of passive structured cabling design as it pertains to, field devices and terminal equipment using IP connectivity
- Able to work under and meet tight deadlines.
Education and Experience
- Technical degree/diploma/certificate or equivalent in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Electrical and life safety system design.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Organization : BC-1156 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 12, 2023, 10:30:27 AM
Req ID: 230002EN
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans