Electrical Engineer in Training, Water
City : Edmonton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical Engineer in Training, Water - ( 2200049H )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
As a member of our electrical, instrumentation and controls team you will contribute to the design of projects of varying size and complexity under the guidance of a Senior Electrical Engineer. As an Engineer in Training, you will be responsible for applying basic knowledge and general engineering concepts to size, evaluate, select, and specify electrical power distribution equipment, lighting systems, and/or auxiliary building systems for assigned projects. The Engineer in Training will perform a variety of tasks which may include conducting field investigations, preparing design calculations, assisting with product research, and developing design drawings and technical specifications. During construction, typical tasks will include reviewing Contractor submittals for conformance with design intent and conducting field reviews of work in progress.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Assists in the development of project design through preparation of sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes available computer-aided drafting and BIM technologies to develop design drawings and three-dimensional models of electrical systems.
- Prepares and revises, under the guidance of a registered professional engineer, project design documentation at various project phases including drawings (site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details) and technical specifications.
- Coordinates with other disciplines to ensure compatibility of electrical systems with the overall project intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and other contractor submittals, responds to requests for information, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract and construction administration tasks.
- Assists in the sizing, evaluation and selection of electrical systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, contractors, and clients.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Implements sustainable design principles.
- Performs calculations to analyze and design electrical system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic working knowledge and application of the Canadian Electrical Code, energy codes, and other pertinent codes. Basic working knowledge of the National Electrical Code is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and technical specifications.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, and other similar material.
- Requires proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite. Practical experience with AutoCAD and other Autodesk drafting and BIM platforms are an asset.
- Ability to take direction, follow process and accept feedback and suggestions from Senior Engineers / Designers.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Registered as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) in a Canadian jurisdiction.
- Working towards licensure as a Professional Engineer in Canada (P.Eng.).
- Willingness to work towards obtaining professional licensure in the United States. Progress towards doing so, such as successful completion of the NCEES fundamentals of engineering exam, will be considered an asset.
Typical office environment, working with computers and drawings for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to hazards including construction, weather, and industrial operations that may be experienced at water and/or wastewater related facilities.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-British Columbia-Victoria, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton, Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1269 Water-Delivery-Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 16, 2022, 1:13:29 PM
Req ID: 2200049H
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans