City : Whitehorse
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical Engineer - ( 2400002B )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Our multidisciplinary team in Northern Canada is looking for an energetic Electrical Engineer to round out our growing practice across Northern Canada. This is a truly unique opportunity to experience Canada’s North, make an impact working on cool projects, and rapidly gain career-boosting experience.
Your role as a contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on projects of varying size and complexity, and as a member of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle including many exciting (commercial, institutional, recreational, industrial, and health care) projects. You may contribute to the development of integrated proposals using your knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards while collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables.
This position will ideally be based in one of our northern offices in Yellowknife, Whitehorse, or Iqaluit (relocation support available).
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for small to large projects of various complexity in remote communities across the North.
- Evaluate, select, specify, and engineer all electrical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engage in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilize BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of building’s electrical systems and provide markups for junior engineers.
- Prepare and revise documentation in various electrical phases including reports, site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participate in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Lead the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Conduct field reviews of projects during construction to verify conformance with progress claims and construction documents and provide letters of professional assurance to the applicable authorities having jurisdiction.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Peer review others' design and comfortable to apply Engineer's stamp for their own or other designers’ work.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Develop project scope, budgets, and design approach for all sizes of projects.
- Assist with the development of proposals for smaller, less complex projects.
- Oversee and manage multiple projects.
- Collaborate with other electrical engineers and discipline leaders across the region.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of Canadian Electrical Code, National Building Code and other applicable building and energy codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Basic knowledge of class A, B, C and D cost estimates for verification.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Experience in construction administration – conducting site field reviews, responding to contractor’s queries, reviewing shop drawings, preparing site instructions, and contemplated change notices.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD. Prefer experience with AGI 32, Visual Lighting Software.
- Willingness to travel.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are an asset.
- Project management experience is an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or related field and a licensed professional engineer.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in building design industry.
Typical office environment working with computers. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Other Locations : Canada-Nunavut-Iqaluit, Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 9, 2024, 3:33:32 PM
Req ID: 2400002B
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans