Electrical Distribution Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Electrical Distribution Engineer - ( 230004DX )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The Electrical Distribution Engineer is responsible for providing cost estimates and designs for a diverse range of underground and overhead electrical distribution projects. Reporting to the Team Lead, Distribution Design, you are responsible for communicating directly with clients and customers to establish service requirements and provide solid design solutions and alternatives that meet client needs. You will work with landowners, customers, and other client departments to ensure that the projects are effectively coordinated and executed by yourself. You will ensure that facilities are designed in a safe, cost-effective and timely manner and meet all applicable codes, standards and regulations.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Design distribution infrastructure to meet the project requirements
- Develop design solutions that meet all applicable codes, standards and regulations
- Review and authenticate drawings for distribution projects
- Develop project cost estimates and material lists
- Manage external client relationships through effective and timely communication
- Monitor project progress and take action to meet client requirements
- Travel and perform site visits as required
- Identify potential safety or environmental concerns and initiate appropriate action
- Coordinate designs with various 3 rd party stakeholders
- Facilitate approval requests with various 3 rd party stakeholders
- Provide coaching and guidance to project team members
- Provide technical guidance to customers, stakeholders, and external consultants
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in the domain of distribution design including applied knowledge of codes, regulations and distribution standards, policies and procedures
- Effective Interpersonal Skills – Strong Written and Verbal skills are a must, to ensure clear communication between team members, clients, contractors, and suppliers
- Able to work effectively both independently under minimal supervision, and as a member of a team
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to set priorities, organize work and complete work within given timelines
- PLSCAD or SPIDAcalc knowledge would be an asset
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Education and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering (Power Systems preferred)
- Registered with APEGA and/ or other Provincial Association
- Minimum of 5 years of detailed design experience in power distribution for utilities within North America
- Stantec offers a flexible work location arrangement.
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 27, 2023, 10:43:15 AM
Req ID: 230004DX
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans