City : CAN - ON - Barrie
Category : CHW-Transportation
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Employee Working Location: Office/In-person (Barrie, ON)
Employment status: Casual
Salary band: 15.50$/hour
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking a Driver on a casual basis for our Community Health & Wellness Transportation program for North Simcoe Muskoka Branch.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will work within the Transportation, on either of these programs: Community Health & Wellness Transportation (medical equipment) with the direction of the Program Coordinators located. The casual position is based on an as needed basis and does not guarantee hours.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for vehicle safety and oversight; daily inspection; maintaining it clean (inside and outside), logbook; report irregularities to supervisor; report vehicle and radio maintenance concerns/problems/needs.
- Following guidelines, arrive promptly to office and collect and load van securely (depending on the program, food delivery, meals, or medical equipment) for deliveries/stops and communicate with staff if the expected “normal” delivery schedule is to be disrupted.
- Assist before/after deliveries as needed: unload trucks, unpack boxes, stock shelves, and store fresh produce while maintaining quality assurance standards.
- Follow all policies and procedures as required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment and report any observed or potential occupational health and safety hazards for workers or clients
- Interact with clients, which may include entering homes, receiving compliments/complaints, friendly conversations with those who are isolated.
- Provide service to clients ensuring satisfaction and represent CRC positively in the community through professional behaviour and appearance.
- Provide assistance to clients as needed and Observe client and environment and report back any critical issues to Coordinator.
What we are looking for:
- High school diploma is a minimum educational requirement
- A valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License with minimum two years driving experience; experience with driving commercial vehicles, cube/cargo or van is an asset.
- Good driving record (Clean CVOR/Drivers abstract – no more than three demerit points) and familiarity with location of major city streets.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (ability to repeatedly lift up to 50lbs: Assistive medical devices, equipment, food hampers, etc.) and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position. (Smartphone Applications: Google maps/GPS)
- Ability to deal courteously with the clients, public, staff, non-violent crisis intervention knowledge is an asset.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties (verbal & written communication skills)
- Demonstrated understanding of poverty and disability (and intersection of both)
- Working alone while on route in the community
- High tolerance for traffic congestion and possible adverse weather conditions
- High tolerance for unsanitary living conditions which may be encountered and for unpleasant client contact (displays of anger, discontent, abusive behaviour).
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.